Mental Health Forums

I Had Some Ideas That Other People Are Using

Data

I did a PhD in computer science / computer aided design from 2007-2012. It was quite difficult and I was given an extra year because I had depression and mental health problems.

As part of my thesis I wrote a short chapter on design. I read a lot of papers and a book on design, and I summarised my ideas in this table:

Last week I was contacted by a person who is doing a PhD in textile design. She wanted permission to use my table in her thesis. Its really nice that someone has read what I wrote, and that they value it :).

I really like that table data...its amazing how widely this stuff applies...textiles and computer science are so different and yet I can see how making these distinctions could be useful in both.

I always imagine after writing a thesis you would get a feeling of disappointment, knowing how much work you put into something that may never be read. Now you know that just isn't true.

That's amazing Data :) It's really great they want to use it. And I think you explain it very well, I think I understand what you're saying and I don't know anything about computer science.

I really like that table data...its amazing how widely this stuff applies...textiles and computer science are so different and yet I can see how making these distinctions could be useful in both.

I always imagine after writing a thesis you would get a feeling of disappointment, knowing how much work you put into something that may never be read. Now you know that just isn't true.

Thanks.

Although my thesis was in computer science, the software that I wrote was actually for use in textile design.

Archived