Mental Health Forums

Abilify

EganFlew

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone else takes this? can't remember the other name, something like apriprazole or something like that.

I am having serious restlessness, and its driving me up the wall, however, things like my mood i think are better, along with less problems with paranoia and the issues I have around certain voices I hear.

I am skeptical these days, and I don't know if I want to be on such a strong drug. See my psychiatrist soon so will bring it up then, but would appreciate any input from people here

Thanks

Egan

I took it for a while. It helped me for a time, but I've since decided I'm not taking name brand drugs or any strong drugs like it anymore. My insurance dropped coverage on this and Seroquel XR and I went through hellish withdrawals before I could start anything else to replace it. >.<

It does make some people more anxious, irritable or have a hard time sleeping. And then other people it doesn't have any side effects. I guess it just depends on the person?

I'm not trying to chase you off it, just saying that while it can do some good stuff if you think it's giving you side effects check it out with your doctor. =)

• 1 month later...

i take this for my mood swings

the irritability will pass in time, so will the restlessness

it did with me.

• 10 months later...

I've just come back on it, it helped me a lot when I was on it before alongside chlorpromazine (sp?)which I decided to come off first. Slowly as I felt stable I came of Abilify too, the first two weeks were difficult but then I felt fine. Three months later however and signs of my mood dipping beyond "normal unhappiness and low mood" I returned to the doc who put me back on it, although he doesn't really understand my history and so I have asked to see someone more "in tune".

• 2 months later...

I have just been put on this. I was given quetiapine as a drug to take as and when for any episodes I'm having and before that sodium valporate. I'm not sure how keen I am on being on a regular anti psychotics again after 10 years but something's gotta give. 

I was on chlorpromazine well back and they affected me badly in that I was so tired on them I couldn't function and actually had to beg to doctor to take me off them. I was on 25mg twice a day and still trying to go to college and do my A levels. The amount of days I had to come home because I couldn't stay awake. 

I I take my first does of ablify this morning it's only 5mg so I'm hoping it just relaxes me a little rather than sending me to sleep so that I can function without my emotions getting the better of me all the time.

• 8 months later...

Been on it for 3 months now and overall its good. The restlessness was horrendous at first but it has evened out now and I have to say that the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives. I've been on dozens of drugs over 2 decades and abilify is the best drug I've been on. 

Archived