Mental Health Forums

Ted Talk On Extreme Expression Of Pain

Kara.

I want to share this ted talk as i think it is gives great insight into the ways we express deep pain. She heard voices, other have split off parts of self who are as extreme, others have other ways. Compassion and love to the most aggressive, disturbed parts of ourself seems to be the medicine...

http://www.ted.com/talks/eleanor_longden_the_voices_in_my_head

Thank you so much for sharing this Karaindrou,

I cried while watching the video (i'm feeling quite emotional at the minute). What an amazing, inspiring women and I could completely relate to her experiences. I hope like me, this has given you some sense of comfort and that we are not alone, that there are people out there in the big wide world who have both experienced discrimination, people not understanding and have come out the other end whole, complete individuals who are then able to support others challenge and break down the barriers of mental health discrimination which exists in society (and much of this discrimination and lack of understanding strongly exists within the mental health system itself).

Although I am a trained professional, I still sadly see and work with other professionals who simply don't have a clue about the impact of trauma and how those who have been traumatised have sub personalities, which need love, deserve love and are simply scared, fearful and need to be heard. I have co worked with psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, GP's, and other mental health professionals who simply label, medicate and have no concept or clue and it is for this very reason that I stay silent about my own healing, my own life experiences until i know we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

<3 Yes buzzybee. It's a great talk that brings comfort and hope.

I too have seen times and times again people being discriminated and so misunderstood... traumatized over and over again, pushed further into that isolated place within themselves. I think that we have a responsibility, as much as we can with the resources we have, to communicate life from this side of the line. At least, together, as we are here, we know that we make sense, we know that we are ok and that we do respect how each one of us has coped with whatever difficulty they went through.

Buzzybee i'm glad that i gave something today. Hugs. You're not alone. I'm glad that you're here.

xxx

Hi Karaindrou,

Ive just tried to send you a message, but it wouldn't let me. Here is a book recommendation, which I read at the start of my therapy way back:

Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma - The Innate Capacity to Transform Overwhelming Experiences.

x

Buzzybee thank you. That's very kind. I'll buy it and it's not even very expensive, which helps :-)

Don't know why you couldn't send a PM...

Hugs and i hope that you have a lovely night.

xx

(((karaindrou)))..........I so admire this lady who through such adversity is able to stand up and be counted and tell her story.............we need more people like this...........Such courage, and we also need more people like her Mum and the Doctor who gave her hope and belief,that she could truly become the person she was meant to be, and that she was not lost in a quagmire of diagnosis and hopelessness as a result................Thank heavens for them all.................truly inspiring............thank you so much for sharing..................Pickles.xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thanks for sharing this, it was really good and it has helped me to not feel so alone anymore. I am even thinking of joining their support group, hearing voices network. It made so much sense to me, I cried through it, our story is so similar!!. I too was dx with Schizophrenia when I was 17 due to me hearing voices which were very scary and told me to do very nasty things to myself and at times to other people!!!. The psych dr did not understand me at all and I was so drugged up. I had hospital stays, I was so scared, I thought I was mad!!!!!. I also had OCD, severe anxiety, depression, self harmed, od'd many times just to escape. Then I was dx with Cptsd, borderline and DID!!!!. It's been a roller coaster but I have hope :). Hope that we can help each other to recover. Xxxx

Archived