Mental Health Forums

Scribbley Feet Drawing For Riverspell

wordsmithy

We obsess about the diffculty of drawing hands

today I obsessed about the diffculty of drawing feet (five minute scribble):

fiascooffeet_zps11b83921.jpg

My foot of course :)

Bloody hell man, that's freaking awesome! I love the feel of it and the shading. How do you feel about the result? I've always found hands pretty difficult, I think I've found something of a technique though.

Bloody hell man, that's freaking awesome! I love the feel of it and the shading. How do you feel about the result? I've always found hands pretty difficult, I think I've found something of a technique though.

Its literally the second I've made a life draWing of feet, the first attempt was haphazard and all over the place; this time I focused on muscle as opposed to detail.

I think I like it but also needed another human to tell me it wasn't a total disaster.

So Gandalf The Ginge when will we see your art?

Well, I can definitely reassure you its a good piece of art:) I've got a few things to sort out so I can take decent pictures, but hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday.

WOW! Seriouskid, Im proper impressed. You certainly do have a fabulous gift….we (ok I will own it, I would like to see more of your lovely work). :-)

WOW! Seriouskid, Im proper impressed. You certainly do have a fabulous gift….we (ok I will own it, I would like to see more of your lovely work). :-)

:) Not sure if it's a gift or not, bee, but will definitely post more scribbley drawings

Very nice sk we always like your work xx

:D Been spending my afternoon beating myself up over one thing or another. I want to draw more and more people; my ceramics tutor has volunteered herself... will post that if it works out.

OH MY GOSH. This is absolutely stunning! I will probably start begging your for lessons at this point. Seriously. I want your skills so bad.

I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner. My computer had a hiccup and my stupid kindle wouldn't load the image. You should have heard the crying. I'm crying over everything and it made me feel a bit silly, but I wanted to see it so bad!

I've really no idea how you achieved this in 5 minutes. I know it's possible, I saw several of my art teachers do it. But I just can't wrap my head around it. Any 5 min thing I do just looks like a blob or a bunch of lines that make no sense whatsoever. xD

Like, I have to know this and I mean no offense or anything. Are you self taught or have you had some type of formal education? I'm mostly self taught until I participated in a high school/college program where I took several art classes. What I meant about the offense, some people get offended at that cause they think they're being judged and I'm not in any way judging you. Most artists I've met that were self taught were actually far better than those formally educated. I often wonder if this is because formal education often imposes rules on a person they can't shake off. Y'know?

OH MY GOSH. This is absolutely stunning! I will probably start begging your for lessons at this point. Seriously. I want your skills so bad.

I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner. My computer had a hiccup and my stupid kindle wouldn't load the image. You should have heard the crying. I'm crying over everything and it made me feel a bit silly, but I wanted to see it so bad!

I've really no idea how you achieved this in 5 minutes. I know it's possible, I saw several of my art teachers do it. But I just can't wrap my head around it. Any 5 min thing I do just looks like a blob or a bunch of lines that make no sense whatsoever. xD

Like, I have to know this and I mean no offense or anything. Are you self taught or have you had some type of formal education? I'm mostly self taught until I participated in a high school/college program where I took several art classes. What I meant about the offense, some people get offended at that cause they think they're being judged and I'm not in any way judging you. Most artists I've met that were self taught were actually far better than those formally educated. I often wonder if this is because formal education often imposes rules on a person they can't shake off. Y'know?

It feels good to be cried over (if that makes sense and isn't too narcissistic?)

Honestly five minutes might have been an exaggeration although it was definitely under 8 mins :blush02: , The first attempt took a good 20-25 mins and the feet did not look like feet (grr...) Exasperated I tried to draw as fast as I could.

With observational drawing I find that there is information overload, so I thought "I'll just focus on anatomy rather than anything else". I think it helps to have a plan in mind: know what you want to focus on whether that is negative space, shade, texture etc.

I am pretty much self-taught, I started doing a foundation in fine art but my mental ill health landed me in hospital before the course had finished, I attended one life-drawing class.

These days I work at an art/craft studio for people with enduring mental heal problems where I mostly focus on designs for ceramics, cards, textiles etc. I go to a Mind (charity run for people who have MH issues) art class currently focusing on portraiture.

Formal education imposed a huge amount of pressure on me, I felt like I had to produce, produce, produce all the time. I went through art therapy and I realised that although I can take on commissions for clients and still express myself (my desires, my fears, my thoughts) through their designs.

Does any of this make sense?

What kind of art do you like, what mediums do you prefer to work in? You seem quite passionate about art?

sk

Hello, just wanted to add, that I very much, enjoyed, looking at your 'foot', a sentence, that is very novel for me...never used it before...

With well wishes, Moonbeam beth.

It makes sense, don't worry about it. =)
I don't care if it was an exaggeration, this drawing is simply amazing. The first attempt taking much longer is actually something to be expected. Things speed up as you become more and more familiar with whatever you are drawing. One of my art instructors actually made us draw some things with our eyes closed a few times. Then there were the sticks. Good lord did I hate the sticks. We had to take a long and rather flimsy stick and tape our charcoal to the end of it and try drawing our figures (human life drawing class) that way. It was to teach us to do quick drawings with light and easy lines. Really all it did was frustrate us, though to his credit we quickly learned to do the 30 second sketches properly just to avoid the sticks. xDDD
My own personal belief that starting with basic anatomy, or at least studying it enough to become familiar with the basic shapes and forms of the subject you're drawing, lends itself to a more realistic result. It really does help. I've compared my drawings before studying anatomy and afterward and I find the before ones rather flat. But everyone has their own methods.
Formal education is rather taxing. I dropped out of the program because of the amount of stress involved. So I get the dropping it and moving on. And it really is just producing more and more stuff to try and qualify to something and is really rather exhausting.
That studio sounds really cool! I wish there was something like that around here. Sadly not. Not even the clinic I went to had much of an option. They tried an art therapy group but it didn't go far.
And yes, pretty much all of that makes sense!
I am rather passionate about art. I've been drawing since I could handle a stick and play with mud. Yes, I was rather primitive until my mother handed me a box of crayons and a coloring book. Being obstinate, I ditched the coloring book and used the walls until I was forced to use blank paper. xD
I've always preferred pencil or charcoal. Though I do a fair bit of painting with acrylics and sometimes watercolor. I still finger paint sometimes, I like the effect it gives on the background foundations before I start the main portion of the painting. Whether it's an abundance of plants or an animal. But I mostly stick to pencil sketches and the occasional charcoal studies. Colored pencils are sometimes fun but I'm not so great with coloring anything in general and still managing to give it life so I don't often bother. In the college program a lot of the art was focused on computer graphics so I know the basics of painting in photoshop and do it from time to time as well as photo manipulations. Being in the Animation/Game Design program I also learned basic animation techniques such as story boarding, modeling in programs like Maya, and the basics of making game levels in the annoying UDK program. That program hated me. >.<
Still, my love will always be traditional artwork. Sharpies man. Sharpies are the future. At least with my body artwork. xDD Pencils don't work well for body art, neither does charcoal much or pastels. I know, I've tried. Recently I was painted to look like a cat and the pastels did little to help. They were put in time out of course.
Now I'm rambling and I apologize!

I love rambles! Is that even a word?

Anyway in life drawing class we had to learn how to draw quickly too, If anything I prefer to draw quickly these days. My anxiety issues makes it harder for me to focus on those six hour long drawings I used to do. Drawing with charcoal attached to a stick actually sounds like something to try. Other exercises like yours had to be done with either our eyes closed or just not looking at the paper. That was a bit hit and miss, sometimes I'd make these beautiful drawings: I still have a sketch of a flowers in a vase drawn without looking at the paper though I'm not even sure why it's so beautiful to me.

Drawing with anatomy in mind is still a relatively new concept for, the tutor of the short art class I go to at the moment is very keen on making us aware of anatomy before we put pen to paper. I agree it totally helps. Once I can see muscle and sinew I can work out how to shade it and make it less 'flat' like you've said.

Coincidentally I need leave for my art class, promise to reply in full when I return.

That's the great thing about the art class I'm going to. In contrast to formal education there's no pressure to produce, no homework assignments etc. The tasks and exercises that are set are fun as well as scary. The single expectation from the art teacher is that we enjoy what we do.

It's an achievement when I do something out of my comfort zone because despite my anticipatory anxiety I end up really enjoying myself. Its like when a child draws and paints unselfconsciously. I can see you as a toddler drawing on the walls like a experimental artist in the making. :) That's what the art colleges seem to eat up: people who say screw the rules!

This artist I know will just splash a bit of paint on paper in a minimal Jackson Pollock style and it's stunning beyond words. That's the beauty of art you can say so much without having to utter a single word. Who are your favourite artists?

I hated graphic design at college, because I loved what I call traditional 'fine' art above everything else. Now knowing how to use Photoshop and the like would help so much with the designing I'm doing at the MH studio. It takes a ridiculously long to copy images, change colours, patterns styles etc.

The more and more you talk about the art work you enjoy making the more I want to see it! Have you posted any on the forum? Do you have a link to images of your artwork? Unfortunately my drawing skills don't translate to painting. My painting style is so amateurish.

Art geeks of the world unite :)

Edit. Found your deviantart page from your old posts! You got some skill indeed, especially like this one: http://riverspell.deviantart.com/art/Playful-Kitten-Tribal-294778238 !

Ooh, you are talented. Very jealous :stun: of your tattoo(?) designs: http://riverspell.deviantart.com/art/Tribal-Horse-294778598 .

This is beautiful, I love the that you can see the texture of the wolf's fur http://riverspell.deviantart.com/art/Daydreaming-190838658 .

This is just amazing, delicate little fish on a leaf such enviable painting/drawing skills http://riverspell.deviantart.com/art/Leaf-Koi-271495221 .

And of course your tiger (I've got an affinity with tigers being born in the year of the tiger) http://riverspell.deviantart.com/art/White-Tiger-108866169

sk

Hey seriouskid, how did you get onto this course? Is it just something in your local area or do you know if its national? Sorry to be a pain with questions.

Also, if you're interested, here's my old deviant account: http://entershikarirock.deviantart.com/?tab=gallery&id=17860343&offset=0

unfortunately it's all at least six years old.

Hey Gandalf the cool ;) ,

My Mind art class is local area thing, it's free but you can only do it once. Noticed you live in Oxford so tried to do some Mind research for you: is this helpful at all?: http://www.oxfordshire-mind.org.uk/support-in-your-area/calendar . Search that webpage for art-related stuff.

I'll look at your deviantart account later when 'soberer' (too much wine this evening)

sk

edit.typo

• 4 weeks later...

Oh gosh I took too long to answer this. I'm sorry SK!

Thank you so much for your praise but I don't think I'm worthy of it. Especially after what I've seen of your works!! I've got a few artists I really enjoy. Mostly ones I found on Deviantart.

Look up Tatchit. She does some amazing art that I practically drool over. Istebrak does some cool stuff too. Reptangle, who does drawings as well as amazing sculptures she actively sells. And if you want some really awesome almost surreal artwork, check out jerry8448!!!!!

If you would like I can send more recent artwork through a PM and we can always talk there too!!! I'm really interested in what you have to say about art and any tips you're willing to share!

Archived