Mental Health Forums

One Giant Leap

artemis84

Didn't know where to post this but I had to put it somewhere, this is a BIG deal for me....

I have made the decision to talk to my boss about my mental health issues and needs. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO anxious and petrified but I know if I want anything to change at work, and in life, I have to take the leap.

Need to do it soon before I bottle out again so the plan is for this week sometime, maybe even tomorrow.

Is there anyone there who'd be willing to hold my hand??

Hey Artemis :) Thats amazing, it takes strength to consider doing something like that, sounds like you've really turned a corner on taking control of life. I'm more than happy to hold your hand and give you all the positive thoughts I can. Will be thinking of you, Ash

Hey Artemis :) well done! very brave :D I wish you luck! I will hold one of your hands and the lovely Ash will hold the other :3, will that help? :)

Aw, thanks guys :)

I have been talking about it with my therapist for a while but have always had one excuse or another. Today I resolved that if I don't take the risk I will never know so I have to bite the bullet. We did discuss some potential 'lines' today in therapy and I have just written some key things down I want to get across which I am planning on emailing myself so I can read them at work before I see him. I'm kinda hoping it will just flow in the moment though...

I am prepared to be met with awkward silence on his part but hey, I can handle that, I've been through years of therapy!!

I wish I had more hands, I think I need as many to hold on to as possible!

(((artemis84)))...........You have my hands to hold too, and mine yours..............and all credit to you for taking this leap...........................Pickles.xxx

I'm also willing to hold your hand, dear. I understand you feel petrified, I would feel the same if I was in your shoes. Sending positive vibes your way.

I really admire you Artemis84, takes a lot of courage and strength to step out from our comfort zones and vocalise what is going on for us. You really are an inspiration :-)

Gosh, thanks guys, I feel touched by all your warm wishes and kind comments. :blush02:

I went in to work with determination to take action this morning but frustratingly my boss was seemingly in meetings ALL day!!

I am trying to tell myself that after 2 and a half years of silence in this job, a day or two more won't make any difference but I just hope I can hold my nerve long enough.

I did email him this afternoon asking for an appointment for a 'chat' this week sometime so we'll see how that goes.

Hope you don't all mind holding on with me a little longer... :)

I'm willing to hold your hand as long as you need it. Think it was a good idea to ask for an appointment. Good luck!

Well........... I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't quite believe it but I have spoken to my boss and told him I have long term mh problems. I didn't give him any details of conditions or diagnoses but I told him I was in ongoing therapy and had been in different treatments for several years.

As well as being shocked that I actually broke the silence and took the risk, I was also surprised by the response I got. It was very positive! My boss said he totally empathised with me and told me that he also struggles with mental health issues at times. He said I had done 'absolutely the right thing' in telling him and that he was very prepared to have another meeting with me to see what he could do to support me at work. Also, he agreed to refer me to occupational health so that we could get some 'expert' advice on possible support strategies. He said he wasn't totally shocked at my revelation because occupational health had told him I had a mh history after I filled in their pre-employment questionnaire. That surprised me a little as I didn't think they'd pass on the info when they'd cleared me fit for work but unusually for me, I didn't get angry. Instead I was quite pleased - he was saying he'd employed me regardless of my history - that is quite a big thing to me. He also said it was appalling that I had experienced negative responses in previous jobs which I really appreciated.

Anyway, it's done now and I feel so much less anxious. However, rather than feeling happy overall, I feel rather numb. I'm not sure why that is, unless it is pure exhaustion after being so determined to be a closed book for so long. I know I go numb and can dissociate when I get overwhelmed by emotion so maybe it's because I feel SO happy, I don't know.

Thanks so much for all your support, it really helped to know you were all beside me when I walked into the meeting feeling terrified! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hey (((artemis84)))..........This is fantastic news.xxx One very giant leap well worth taking and I'm so heartened to hear how your boss was and is with you, and also reciprocating and sharing some of his story with MH too..............So proud of you and really pleased to hear all went well.xxx

Archived