Mental Health Forums

Work Ethics - Does Anyone Else Get This?

SusieQ

I often get so depressed that I have found it difficult to do my job. The reason for this has little to do with the actual depression first hand, but to do with the fact that I don't really have a work ethic. I really fail to see the merit in getting up every day, going to an office and getting invloved in a load of beraucracy. This is not just in relation to the job I do, but the vast majority of other jobs that I could do. I feel as a society we have gone too far with capitalist and productivist values.

I have just spent half an hour on the phone to the Samaritans talking about my depression causing me to be unable to do my job. She said I should feel proud of myself for getting up and going to work every day in spite of how I feel. Why exactly? Surely the opposite is true. I should feel proud of myself for looking after myself, which would mean not torturing myself with the feeling that I need to hold down a job to be worth something, and being able to stick up for the 'scroungers' 'parasites' and all of the other people who just can't find it in them to contribute to this futile regime. In fact I find the very idea that I should place my sense of self worth in being a good little worker demeaning. Our constant drive for labour is what is destroying our planet, using up our resources and creating much of the misery we have in society today. We should be fighting it, not caving to its constant demands. Self respect for me would be quitting work and making a stand against capitalist values that I do not believe in.

Ahhh - why does nobody get this?

Hello Antarcticleech,

Wow, thank you for sharing…from this I learn new perspective…

I am sorry to fall into the category of people that do not understand…

I discussed this with my neighbour, she gave up her job, in corporate financing to work within, the public caring sector…her drop in pay, status, and lifestyle relating to such, is the only reason, that I have her to talk too!

She very much understood what you were saying, and suggested a bold step, into, a different way of work…she says what you express, is relevant to her, before she made a change for herself…

Not to suggest that you, should work within the caring sector, or anything like that, but just a way to change, your current circumstances, to bring you to a place, that is more true, to your own personal values and mores…

Well wishes, moonbeambeth.

Hi antarctic leech,

I hear, that for you, this is a very emotive, very personal and political issue and one which leaves you feeing frustrated and what sounds like cornered. On some levels I do appreciate what you have so eloquently written. But for me, well, although I hate the bureaucracy and rape tape, which exists in the vast majority of organisations, I do however have a very strong work ethic. My work ethic is based on my passion to help support and facilitate positive change in peoples lives (but that is because of the industry i choose to work in). I made a conscious decision many years ago that i would not allow what has happened to me in my life (abuse, bullying etc), dictate how my future will be. so i decided to use what has happened to me, as a catalyst to spur me on, heal myself and see that actually i do have the power to change me and help facilitate change in others.

I want nice things, I want to be able to buy nice food, wear nice clothes and go on holiday from time to time, for me i feel that I deserve this, but in order to get the very things I want, i personally need and want to work. I don't enjoy working for the company who employ me, but i love giving something back to society, seeing people thrive, grow, feel better about themselves, that gives me huge satisfaction and hope for a better world. But at the same time, i want to be paid a good wage for what i do (and I don't get paid a good wage). Some days I don't enjoy the rubbish i get from people, particularly those who employ me, but they have their own issues and are responsible for their own stuff….i'm responsible for mine and I choose to make a difference in the world, to stand up and be counted, to have a voice and to try and change things for the better in my own little way. For me, working isn't selling out and embracing capitalist values, for me, its about me being in control of my life and doing something for the good of others and being able to live a lifestyle that i want, deserve and need.

For you, you living your life in the way that will make you feel happier, is important. Some people do live a self sufficient life, they do live in ways that requires little money, doing the things that makes them feel happier, less depressed, feel more alive etc….but it has to be well thought out, planned, be motivated to do it and make it work for them.

Capitalism is part of our culture, there is very little that you can do to change this, but what you can do is think about what you may need to do, in order to change your current situation. If your unhappy working, can live on very little, then maybe you may need to think outside of the box. There are communities all over the world, who live self sufficiently, such as Brithdir Mawr Community in Pembrokeshire….if you want things to change, then you need to focus on what is it exactly that you want, write everything down, do your ground work and see if this kind of living is more suitable for you.

We all have the power to change our lives, no matter how impossible that may seem, or how long that may take, but as long as you stay focused in a positive way, and keep your goal, wants, desires at the forefront of your mind, then you and only you can change your current situation. don't give up your dreams x

OMG! Im so sorry, I didn't mean to say rape tape….type error, I meant red tape. i really hope I've not upset or offended anyone. So sorry

Moonbeam / Buzybee - your posts are both very inspiring. I'm not sure if what you are suggesting is right for me right now, but I know that for a long time I've struggled to gain any sense of value from my working life.

I am aware that I lot of what I think and feel comes from my personal experiences, but also a lot of it is a matter of personal beliefs and values. I've never sat well in capitalism and I feel I have always been persecuted for being this way. A lot of people I know feel similar, but seem to be more happy to accept the status quo. I guess I just seeing it as a life sucking force, and I can see how, if we all just sat still for a while, we could figure out a better way to live, maybe.

I also find it difficult to see a connection between getting paid to being able to enjoy nice things. I see a lot of people work hard and get very little and a lot of people work very little for a lot. It's just about power dynamics really. There is no ethos to it, unless you believe in the ethics of power, that is.

I realise my opinions make me unpopular, so I try to just keep them to myself most of the time. But when I am depressed or angry they tend to come on pretty strong.

By the way I read 'red tape' - I read conext not individual words, so you don't have to worry about those sort of blunders.

Archived