Mental Health Forums

Medication - Stress

AppleCrumble

My recent downfall in mood/suicidal feelings/anxiety/fear of the future has been brought on by my failings at doing a PhD and the stress of failing at something. Worries about embarrassment and being shamed for being so useless are just getting on top of me... so it's all life-based, so I don't know if a change in medication will help. My GP when I first saw him referred me back to CMHT as he can't combine anti-Ds etc, and explore other medication options... (as well as hopefully get support)

I'm in limbo. I know I'll probably have to go back to uni, but it terrifies me. I'm only going back so I don't let others down, same reason I started it in the first place - it was offered, and I accepted, which pleased my parents. I can't let them or my supervisor down. It's not really my life, I don't really know what else I would do with the life, so I probably should just carry on with what is set out for me for the next year or two.

I'm not really getting any support from the CAT or CMHT groups. I haven't seen anyone in person. I've just had phonecalls from a CAT member, who is talking with GP/CMHT and seeing their opinions - which seems to be that the CMHT think I'm attention seeking and want me to visit my GP for support. My GP is good - but he's the practical thinker, and if he can't do anything practical, then he's no good "what do you want me to do about it" springs to mind, from previous conversations.

So I don't know whether it's worth suggesting changing medications? Is anyone on anything in addition to venlafaxine? I worry about being put on anything anti-anxiety like benzos or the types to zonk you out, as yeah, it may destress me, but I'll be forgetful and dozy, which won't help with being on the ball if I do go back to the lab :-/

Not sure what I could suggest. If I suggest anything I'm not sure they will give me that help anyway...

Hi Hun

It sounds very much like you are living your life for other people, to please them....but what about pleasing yourself?, you deserve to do/be what you want. I have tried to please people before and I ended up very unhappy. It will also add to your distress in the long run. Why not have a think about what you want to do?, something might come to mind. I take an anti-d and a mood stabilizer but it isn't venlafaxine as I went very hyper on it. xxxx

I don't tend to get high. I mean I keep busy and hate not being busy (unless I'm feeling low like now in whoch case I don't really feel like doing anything)... I'm not sure if they'd put me on a mood stabiliser. Think the guy might phone tomorrow so will ask him if someone can review medication. Although last time I saw the psychiatrist he wanted me off meds as I was going to be starting therapy in 6 months time and the antiDs I was on weren't helping. I couldn't cope so goty GP to prescribe the venlafaxine. I can just see myself going downhill if I'm not on any antiD. I don't really know how to live my life for me. Like he way my parents brought me up I tend to keep busy, not miss opportunities and say yes to everything. Xxx

• 1 month later...

Physiological concomitants include increased heart rate, altered respiration rate, sweating, trembling, weakness and fatigue, psychological concomitants include feelings of impending danger, powerlessness, apprehension and tension.

hey crumble

good to see you again

:D

i'm on a benzo to control my anxiety, it does slow me down and make me dopey so your right to be wairy of them.

Archived