Mental Health Forums

To Understand A Name

Riverspell

I have had a couple people ask the meaning to my name. How I came up with it or why. Just today, in a PM to ILostHer, I attempted to explain it to her. Somehow I managed to get out a good overview of what led to my name, they whys and wherefores.

So I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else is curious or interested. And do feel free to remove this is if it's a no no. There is no intention to break rules here.

---

Though I am near phobic of water I've always enjoyed watching and listening to it. Water is, to me, a symbol of life. And not just because it provides and aids life to fauna and flora. It's always flowing, shifting. Even ponds and lakes, rippling with wind or rain and surging around fish and waterfowl. Water just is, like life just is. Unique to each body of it, like a person, and never repeating itself. Rejuvinating itself and moving ever forward. There will be slow patches, pauses, and in other places it'll race and roar along. Absolutely mesmerizing and easily pulling a person into the spell of it.

It almost became a metaphor for my own life, or just a way to describe life to my own confused mind. Sometimes I would imagine myself as a rough stone in a creek or river, being eroded and shaped and smoothed in the cradle of water. Carried along and protected in a way, always assured that life surrounds you and moves you forward. Even if you'd rather not. Much like that stone, by the time you are ready to die (whether it's from age or sickness or even an accident) you will be smooth and shine with that true beauty of your soul. I believe that no matter what way you pass that you will find acceptance in it. Even in violent accidents, like a car accident perhaps, and you are unconscious or in a coma, your mind is still alive. That flash of life before your eyes is your consideration and acceptance of all that you have done and what you have become over time. Your rock smoothing over completely and glowing beneath the gentle water as sunlight touches it one last time. Then you let go, those regrets and fears of your last few hours or days erased and you let yourself slip away.
Whether you believe in an afterlife or not, there will be peace in death. I've always believed that. Even for those that leave violently, with acts unfinished and things unsaid, there is a measure of peace. And it's spellbinding and glorious and exhilirating. One of the most astounding acts we will ever be a part of. An act most of us can barely understand, even when we're grasping at it ourselves.
Spell binding in the grips of rushing water.
So I took from that a name which you only see a part of. Riverspell. I once considered Waterspell as a way to shorten it, but rivers have always been far more fascinating and with just the right degree of movement to make the most perfect stones. Oceans erode too quickly, creating sand that is more rough than smooth. Creeks and ponds and lakes do not shift enough to remove all edges. But rivers, rivers are constantly flowing and shifting between smooth and calm and content to rushing, roaring and fierce. Carrying stones along by the hundreds and softening each and everyone before carrying them to the ocean to become part of a greater existence.
A river's spell, to carry us along and shape us to become what we really are. Glowing hot and carried away. To join a greater consciousness and touch skies we could only ever dream of. Listen to the thrumming water, a heartbeat strong enough to carry you home. This is a river's spell and may it forever be.
That is my greater name. Perhaps more of a message or a thought than a true word to call me. But that is what's behind my name. Riverspell.

That is soooo cool,

No one ever asks me about my name...and it is my real name too.....

Thank you for sharing, moonbeambethxxx

You were actually named Moonbeam?! That's incredible. I've known people named Summer or Autumn and even an Equinox but never a Moonbeam.

Really interesting read Riverspell! I love how much thought went into your name and you wrote it so well :) I love just sitting by water and watching it go by, rivers or streams are my favourite, though I went to lovely place in Wales, near Mount Snowden, where there are 8 or so waterfalls within a few hours walk of each other.

Lol, thank you, yes...Moonlite, was my given name, Sunbeam, was what I was called in first life by many...so moonbeam became my name for first and second life!

But I rejected, my given names, when I was officially registered and err, passported!

Chose names which do not reflect such, obvious lifestyles and peoples...

No regrets, just a sigh, for my own, err, rebellion!

I am with smile now, thank you!

Choosing names is something very important for my err, past culture, each of us, must chose, from given to taken, it is a rite of passage, my parents, could always address me as given name, but the world must call on me, as I chose...

I think mainstream culture could learn from this...do you have thoughts on this?

Well wishes, moonbeambethxxx

If it's not offensive to you, I'm sad in a way that you changed your name. Whether it was out of fear of judgement or even just a want to fit in. I think Moonbeam is a beautiful name to be honest.

It is beautiful to me too that you are given a name to be called until you choose your own name. And that then people would acknowledge and accept that name and call you by that. Acceptance that the rest of the world tends to reject when faced with anything they don't understand. I had a friend who tried choosing her own name and she was met with judgement by her family. Called her a devil worshiper and such for her explanation. Made me angry personally.

Though this is online, I feel that no one here is going to try and stalk me so I'll share my given name. The one my parents gave me.

I was christened Evelyn, after my great grandmother on my father's side and I think in a way because my father knew his first child would be a girl. He received a dream in school that his eldest would be a daughter. Evelyn is derived from the Hebrew name Eve but is Celtic in origin. The reason I think my dad chose it, not just because of my great grandma but also because of that dream, is because of it's meaning.

Evelyn, depending on the culture you ask, means several things. Healer, giver of life and light, bright life, mother, and other similar names. It also means hazelnut in Celtic. I believe in Hebrew, besides being associated with Eve, that it also simply means Life. In Latin it is bird which I personally associate with my constant want for freedom from the expectations of my family and society in general. Funnily enough, Evelyn is both a girls name and a boys.

Growing up I was given several nicknames. I had an adopted uncle that called me "Evie". The name stuck and most of my family still uses it. My Dad called me "his little nut" but hasn't spoken that since I was rather young. Most of my family, as per my wishes, simply calls me Evelyn. Growing up I was bullied, and often the name "Evie" was a good place for them to start. There was also the fact that that name was personal to me and I had no wish for others to use it. So I only allowed my family to call me it and only those I wished to. Most of them accepted that. My step dad calls me "Evie" though I'd rather he not. But I know he means no harm so I haven't corrected him.

I'm actually quite proud of my name and it's many meanings. Some people have other names they know me by, often ones unique to the person and our relationship. I don't mind at all, as long as they acknowledge my given and accepted name.

Is there a bigger story behind your chosen name? What about Sunbeam? Do you mind sharing a bit about your past culture and people? It sounds absolutely fascinating. Despite being Christian I have a very open mindset free of judgement and ridicule. I'm not like most Christians whose actions often give the rest of us a bad name. I'd be honored if you chose to share more about yourself and your past. I of course understand if you'd rather not.

=)

Totally wonderful,

My instinct knew, that you would know,

something of, what is in a name...

I would love to share some more...

I have been unwell and not able to get on-line.

so this is me, letting you know, I will come back and reply to you.

Well wishes, and really, thank you, moonbeambethxxx

Thank you for giving me this conversation to come back too...

i find that right now, this is like cool breeze to hot skin...

Wow, Evelyn, yes, indeed, your name holds much power and meaning, lol, especially to me...

The strongest woman that I knew in childhood was Evelyn, hazelnut eyes, and hazelnut tree, very important for many, small celebrations of different sorts...She was power, personified, and more so to the 'us' of my back ground, as her given name and taken name are the same, and Evelyn that became Eve, through the powerful story shared by Angela Carter, stayed with me through my different lives...

My name of Moonlite, relates to the full moon, on which I was conceived, I come from a culture where stories of how we are conceived, are seen as very important to be shared! Being called sunbeam, was due to many 'elders', friends of Parents, members of community, telling me I smile and move with force as sunbeam, so this stuck for a while. I should tell you that the sun is usually equated with masculine energy, and I was quite 'tom-boy', as the expression goes.

Yes I changed my name for conformity, no regret, just a sigh! It was/is important to me, to just fit, into mainstream.

It was important for many years, to be safe, and leave a past behind. I wear my official names, with pride, I made my choice.

I chose, to follow very, English tradition, which was a full rebellion, for my Celtic/gypsy roots!

I am sorry that your friend faced such, heavy negativity, for taking her name, may I just share, that...

I come from people, that believe, being called by the wrong name, can damage, the power of the borrowed body, that our soul resides in! It is important for people, to be called on, with words, that pull, the connection, to body and soul closer, so when a person knows their given name, is not their name, it is time, to change from given to taken, I celebrate, for your friend.

Is it safe to know, what name they have taken?

Also as you were interested, different clans, or covens or families, have different practices here...

Some, only use, their taken name, for spiritual practice, and work with this name, only exposed to spirit and maybe a few people, as the taken name, is seen as the bond, that holds spirit to body, so reveling that name, can expose them in ways which are dangerous, as the taken name holds the power-connection.

Some, use their given names, with spiritual practice and people, but like me, take a name for representation in society.

All of these things cause much discussion, and disagreement, but I at least I have love when, and very much miss, people that ask, what is your given name? Did you take a name? or a straight up, what do you call yourself? Not something that happens often anymore!

People in the hospitals respond, very brightly, when I ask, what would you like me to call you by? Many people have told me that they feel no connection to their names, this makes me sad, and I have helped many people, take a new name, even if that is just for friends and family, and often, I am surprised when family and friends respond negatively, to a request to use a different name for someone. I am my own person, why should I not chose my own name?

It is lovely that you have a given name, with presence and power, that binds you to loved ones, and that you know you are Riverspell, which, from how you took the name, is, a very sound way to, find your 'self' name. You are very well attuned, it would seem, for these practices! You may have a gift! As, some, are given the talent, for helping others, to seek out their self names.

Have you ever been drawn, to call others, by something that is not their name?, or do you get, images or feelings with words attached, which draw you, to nick-name people? This will be deeper than, a term of endearment, or a joke that sticks, most people do this...usually the difference can be seen, as you call someone, with the new name, and if the names that you give people, stick for years, that is another sign, connecting people with dejavu, or joy, and forgotten memories is another one!

Forgive my questions if they are weird or offensive, as I respect that you are Christian, and often, even thinking on such things can be seen as offensive to the Christ. I have already offered my hand, by way, of apology, to him, as from my background, it is habit, I have prayers from several religions, to offer, whenever I feel that I may, offend a practice of faith within another.

I hope some of this was of interest to you, it has been nice for me, to spend this time here with you tonight. Full moon, and planets to watch now! Well wishes, moonbeambethxxx

I hope this is alright, but I'm going to message you back Moonbeam. In order to properly answer a few of your questions, I would need to share some things that I'm not so willing for everyone to know. Yes, some of it has been alluded to in my other posts but never full on. You know what I mean? Basically, why risk everyone's judgement when you can send a private message and only face one persons? Though I would hope, and do believe, that you will not judge me for what I say.

Lol, thank you, and yes, for the third time on this site, another person does, understand the complexity...

No judgement s, I seek, truth of others, that is why I am here...

No wider sharing, a few have given me, privacy and sanctuary since I came here...

I would be privileged to give the same back for another...

Well wishes, moonbembethxxx

Cannot speel,lol

Archived