Mental Health Forums

What Do You Guys Think?

Riverspell

What do you guys think of this sketch? I'm considering starting a painting that I will actually finish for once. xD

There's a lot of symbolism in this one. It's not meant to be a realistic painting, though I don't plan to exaggerate anything. Things will look natural. I'll explain a bit of what's going on in this.

The fish you see is a salmon. I don't know if you guys know a lot about them so I'll explain a bit. Salmon are born in rivers every year. When they grow large enough to survive they swim out into the ocean where they spend a few years reaching adulthood. Every year, adult salmon will swim from the ocean back upstream to the river they were born in to spawn. Once a salmon lays her eggs she dies. Just as the male dies when he fertilizes them. It is an ongoing cycle that has occurred for hundreds of years.

Here in the Pacific Northwest they are often seen and used as a symbol. The Native Americans that lived here long before us caught them as food as they swam upstream. They were important to their culture and often seen in their art. A lot of our own people rely on the salmon every year for a paycheck.

I've always admired these fish. They fight against impossible odds every year and persevere and succeed. A symbol of strength, determination and renewal. Relentless and unwavering, many give up their lives on the journey to other wildlife and man made obstacles and even simple exhaustion. Those that succeeded ensure the continuing survival of their species.

There's been a want in me for a while to draw or paint or just something to acknowledge this great species and I finally sat down and did something about it.

You can see the salmon is central to the drawing. Around it are plants that symbolize several meanings and messages. I choose plants because when the salmon dies, they go back to the earth to feed plants which feed animals. A form of renewal or even resurrection. On the bottom are three flower species.

Plumeria, which is marked with a P and is in the middle, signifies spring time and new beginnings. The Blue Rose to the left is a sign of attaining the impossible, the blue color critical to the symbol. And finally Gladiolus, a symbol of strength of character and conviction.

Growing from the back of the salmon is oak branches, a sign of strength.

Around the tail is splashes of water, again something important to me in many ways and I saw it as an apt symbol in this. There will be water in other places as well.

Yes, this was sketched in charcoal. No erasing whatsoever. Which is why the lines are rather all over the place.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or ideas?

Really love it Riverspell, quite beautiful. If you paint it, which mediums will you use?

The symbolism is great, I've always loved art with meaning. You mentioned that the native Americans used the salmon as a symbol which reminded me I've always wanted to do some work with tribal art, perhaps recreating cave paintings or something similar.

Thanks guys.

Gandalf, I would be using acrylic paints. With perhaps a bit of other mediums thrown in. Such as a bit of pastel (likely chalk) or charcoal. I'm in love with charcoal.

If you do decide to do Native American based art (tribal art is a specific type of art, usually used for tattoo's, and doesn't have much to do with Native Americans ((or at least that's my understanding))), I would recommend researching it before hand. A lot of people go for the cliched stuff and there's a lot more behind their history and culture. In a way it actually offends and frustrates me when I see people going for popular culture and the aforementioned cliched art.

Like for instance, I've seen people slap on symbols on a brave's mount to make the horse look "cool" or what they deem realistic. If a horse was painted, it was often a specific symbol with a specific meaning. And usually personal to the brave that owned it. Also, every group has their own ideas and stories. There's a lot of similarities yes, but differences. Take the Native Americans of the southwest. They considered owls spiritually evil and prone to causing sickness in humans. While other Native American cultures in other parts of the U.S might not. There is also a large number of tribes under one general name or term. Such as "Southwest Indians". Many tribes grouped under one name can be very different from each other, even if they live in the same area. Clothes, food, buildings, and general culture can all be different between each tribe. And not all Native Americans look the same. Depending on their tribe and area of origin, they can be any number of size, shape and form. Also, some art that the people do themselves (such as some of their symbols and styles, like some of the Northwest Native American art for instance) are not meant for non Native Americans to make. They place taboo's on such actions.

No, I'm not saying don't try it out. I'm not saying don't follow what you want to do. What I am saying is to be aware and respectful of their culture and beliefs. My father's family, more specifically his mother's, is Native American in origin. His mom, my grandma, is actually part of the Sioux which is a plains Indian. Our tribe is the Rosebud. She is a 1/4 which makes my father an 1/8 and myself and my siblings a 1/16. So no, my dad and his kids aren't part of the tribe but I still recognize that it is part of my history and have done plenty of my own research out of curiosity. We've still got Native American family, distant family, but family none the less. I actually had a great great (?) grandma who was entirely Native American and was believed to have been close to Sitting Bull.

Just research stuff before you delve into it. Personally I'd like to think my art was entirely accurate instead of guesswork. But that's just me.

I apologize for the rant.

Also, try looking up some of their history. Native American's haven't had an easy time of it. Take forced assimilation into our society, forcing them to reject their languages and cultures by taking their children and forcing them into specific schools. Sometimes beating their beliefs and language out of them. Look up "The Trail of Tears" too.

(((Riverspell)))...........I think it is terrific, and what is equally amazing, is how you describe all that you have thought about in the creation of this.................I haven't got any suggestions, just admiration for such talent!..............Pickles.xxx

You didn't offend me Gandalf! No apology is needed! I just thought I'd put some...advice out there. I'm sorry if it came across as harsh!! That wasn't my intention. =)

Thank you Pickle! :D

Oh Riverspell! :D
  • Brilliant, sketchy 'all over the place' scribbly drawing

• Beautiful image: salmon, composition

• Cool project, happy to see someone so enthusiastic about making some artwork for just for themselves

• Looking forward want to see the finished painting, or work in progress even!

:) sk

I'll try and get some work in progress images! May need to be poked as a reminder. xD I'm so forgetful. lol

Thank you SK

• 3 weeks later...

This is gorgeous...and I adore all the symbolism behind it, it all just sounds really beautiful. You wouldn't think of a Salmon in this way but you really make us see past just a simple fish! I'll never look at them in the same way again! Wonderful explanation and story this image holds. Again I'm sorry I cannot offer any artistic help but I think it's fantastic anyway.

R xxxx

Archived