Mental Health Forums

Therapeutic Community

lonelyheartemma

A therapeutic community has contacted me saying they have spaces if I'm still interested.

They want me to go for an initial meeting and that's going to be difficult. It is in a city in England and going for a meeting involves travelling but travelling makes me really ill. To go to the meeting I would need to travel up the week before, spend a week in a hotel recovering (with possibly a hospital trip or two if my blood pressure drops again or my tongue swells) and then have my meeting.

Once when I went in an ambulance they gave me an anti emetic injection and I felt completely ok for 12 hours after that so if I could have an injection again I could go and come back on the same day (as long as the injection works). But my doctor has left and the other doctors in my surgery don't listen to me. The tablets don't work, I've tried loads.

If I go to live there I would have the same problem but only for a week. 2 of my online friends live in that city so that would be better than now as my only offline friend lives in the USA and I only see her once every 2-3 years.

I thought I'd explain the situation to the community and see what they say, does that sound ok? It would be perfect if we can do the initial meeting on the phone, I hate phones but they're a lot better than getting really ill. At some stage I will probably have to go and visit but at this stage I have no idea if it will suit me or not and if it doesn't then a quick phone call might be enough to realise that. I did send a list of questions in my initial enquiry but they ignored them.

Hi lonelyheartemma, I'm sorry you get so sick from travelling. It's harsh for the doctors in your surgery not to want to help you, if the old g.p was understanding about it there should be notes about it in your records. It doesn't sound like having to stay in a hotel for a week previous to the therapeutic community interview would be a helpful way to prepare you either.

I can't see any reason why this interview can't be done by phone given the circumstances, and if you ring the therapeutic community to explain as you did here I don't think they should refuse. If they did I would question their commitment to your health and wellbeing. Like you said it would be the first interview and you don't even know if it is right for you. Them being compassionate towards your health in general is indicative of more than just how they treat such situations, imo.

I hope that they allow the interview by phone for you, and that you get your other questions answered.

Em this sounds like an really good opportunity if it is a good fit. It will give you the chance to be away from your mother and on your own but with a lot support. I think a phone interview does sound highly reasonable in your circumstance.

I will keep you in my thoughts with fingers crossed that this will go well for you.

Thank you Charma and Sah :) It's really good to know you think I'm being reasonable, I don't want to be too demanding and I'm scared they'll reject me- but you're right that I need to be somewhere where they are compassionate to my physical health as well as my mental health.

Charma I agree with you, the doctors are very harsh! But the trouble with doctors in my experience is that lots of them see I have mental health problems and then decide all my physical problems are caused by it. The gastroenterologist said the very same thing, he wasn't interested in trying a scan or any treatment until I'd been in therapy as he believed it was psychological.

You're right, there must be at least one record of my old GP helping with me travel issues. I was asked to go to a medical assessment at a centre several miles away and my GP wrote to say I couldn't travel there and needed a home assessment (which I got) so there must be a copy of that letter in my records.

I'll email them today and explain and see what happens. Thank you for your replies, they really were reassuring and helpful :)

I explained and got a one sentence reply which I don't really think was adequate.

"I don't think this is the right time for you to be embarking on such a big move."

The absolute ****. I'm worth more than one sentence and who is he to judge? He can say he doesn't think it's the right time for me to join his community if he really wants to but he's basically telling me it's not the right time for me to move at all and he has no right to make that judgement. Patronising **** but at least I found that out before I went to live in his house.

Hi Emma who said that to you? Sorry for asking that but I just wanted to clarify it was it the community or your gp? Would you like to go to the therapeutic community it might be really good for you. Sorry I'm not much use my head is all over the place. I hope you get the help you need Emma please me know how you get on xx

It was a guy from the community who said that.

I don't want to go to that therapeutic community as I don't like the way the guy wrote to me- he is a therapist but he doesn't seem to have much empathy or sensitivity. But I'm not against the idea of them in general. It's just a shame none of the other communities bothered to reply.

I wrote a draft email to him in Unsent Letters Unspoken Words. I wasn't going to send it but lots of my friends here encouraged me. So I've rewritten it slightly (I decided to send it to the main office rather than to him) and I sent it off today.

• 1 month later...

Therapeutic is very good treatment for health because it is one Ayurveda treatment and it is very long time period treatment but not side effect of this treatment. SO it is very nice for health.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, it's good to hear something positive.

I've still had no response from any of the other communities so it looks like it isn't an option for me at the moment.

Archived