Mental Health Forums

Types Of Therapist

addy2

I am going back to trauma therapy I got a letter today with a date to start I don't get my last therapist as she is of sick so I have to start all over again. It says on the letter she is a counselling psychologist is that the same as a psychologist I have never had one before anyone have any experience of this type of therapist?

I went to see a counselling psychologist and she said I was to much in crisis to work with! As far as I understand it they work like a clinical psychologists, still where a clinical psychology its time limited and simply tries to adjust negative behaviour. A counselling psychologist will allow you to explore the reasons behind the bad behaviour but will use much of the same methods as a clinical psychologist. Sorry for the word "bad" I mean it as unwanted not that you have been bad or anything. Most people will have only been treated/or worked with a clinical psychologist since counselling psychologist have to fund themselves in training so they are rare. I was always told a clinical psychologist works like a knife to remove the bad parts, they get in, adjust what needs to be changed. Whereas a counselling psychologist works more as a psychotherapist in that they will explore the why, the expression of how you are feeling and how events have impacted on you in the now. Of course both aim to make you feel better.

I would see going to a counselling psychologists as a rare but good thing. I know its crap having to start again, building up the trust is going to take weeks. Still with the new person is likely going to be longer term and it is really good you are trying therapy again. Although it does not feel like it going to therapy is a brave thing to do *best of luck*

Hi jameskarl thanks for replying. I am always in crisis too which worries me, my psychiatrist said I needed someone that I could take time to build a relationship with and hopefully eventually open up they know it takes me so long to even be able to speak and he thought if I had time it would be maybe help. In a way I'm glad it's a new person the last one was focused on past stuff and I couldn't do it I think the theory is this time if I have enough time and don't feel pressured then I will open up. Thanks for replying I had never heard of a counselling psychologist before the only experience I had with psychologists was in dbt and dbt traumatised me for life x

counselling psychs train the same in the first degree as clinical

they then do a masters and doctorate in therapies

and aren't tied to the biomedical model of mental health

- the psychiatric model -

as much as clinical psychs are

sure there are effective and there are dysfunctional psychologists

the ones i know and trained with

(i trained as a counselling psychologist)

vary just as much as in any other discipline that leads to becoming a therapy practitioner

but i hope you get a good one :)

i know i'd prefer a counselling over a clinical

but that's just my preference

that said i've known awesome clinicals

Thank you mousie it sounds positive but you know that wee voice that tells you it won't be ok I have that I am worried and scared that I won't like her or she won't like me and I find it hard to get to know people and it makes me miss my social worker who knew me and was good to me and I trusted her. I guess the counselling psychologist sounds a better option for me as it's not tied to one area , maybe I should be more positive and say it's going to be a good thing and she will be able to help. Did you ever practise as a psychologist mousie after you did the training? I did a degree in counselling but never took it any further I don't think I could have coped with it x

i was in practice for years until my symptoms reached a high level

and i had a crisis

which meant me ending practice

because the ethics were (and are) important to me

it would be a good thing to tell the new t about your experiences

and how folks have been useful

and how they haven't

that can help the t get an idea of where you are

and how best they can be useful to you :)

a good t will not want to make it about them and do all they can for their client

Yeah I could do that tell them what is ok and what's not what is and isn't helpful. When I started with my last therapist she didn't read my file she said she wanted me to tell her how it was and so she wouldn't have a pre judgement. Sorry you had to give it up mousie but it shows you have strong ethics and morals you wouldn't put others at risk xx

the first session can be hard work

and the mind can go all over the place

so would it be useful to write down things

in short phrases... ie

where your last therapy left off

what you had worked on

what you want worked on

what you find useful

what you find unhelpful

what your fears are

what your hopes are

any key questions you might have

just ideas

but they could prompt you if your head goes boink!

Thanks mousie I will do that I know I will be so anxious that I will forget everything I was meant to say and ask. I'm wondering cause it's a place for trauma will that be the main focus all the childhood stuff or will it be different I guess only one to find out and that will be to ask her. It always makes me think of my previous therapist and them I feel sad and when I speak of them I know I will be so upset I always do that x

if they use the standard accepted protocols

then they'll be using the three phase approach

stabilisation, trauma processing, reintegration

stabilisation means forming the relationship,

agreeing with the client wants,

working on coping strategies and establishing support systems

all that before any trauma processing

then after going through processing

reintegration is about how you plan the new,

developed, healed, calm you is going to live a stronger, happier, meaningful life

i'm sharing this information because i believe therapy shouldn't mean

a client guessing what the heck a t is doing

i always always told my clients why i used what methods

where they came from

what they're supposed to do

so they could check my stuff out

verify it

cos then they're in control

an informed client is someone that feels more in control

that they're not being led blind

some t's may not agree with that approach

but i believe its respectful and anything else is old hat and belongs in a museum

Thanks mousie your right a client should know what is going on and be kept informed my last trauma therapist was quite open and my social worker but the dbt therapist was not if he has been open it might have been better he even down right lied to me said he had to change our appt cause he was training he wasn't he had to change it so he could make sure I didn't go to the group next day as they didn't allow me had he said he needed to speak to me about how I had been and maybe I should take a break I would never have reacted so badly or felt so rejected but he lied then gave me three choices knowing fine well I would be so distressed that I wouldn't be able to think straight and would react before thinking. I always had good therapists and support until dbt. Your right being respectful is so important if I am treated with respect I will trust the person more instead of them keeping stuff from me that doesn't help x

Dear Addy, Mousie is wise and Professional, I trust Mousies information, for your original question.

I hope that my reply to you now is not confusing but I really want to share something with you about some of the feelings that you are expressing…

Addy, some- times, I am not like-able…I am dismissive in my attitude, verbally rude, my voice can be heard for 5 mile! I argue, with the Drs or the Peoples, mainly because I am lost in my own triggers. This often means I miss the real point of the conversation happening, confusing and upsetting those involved with this every-time.

I will leave a room, appointment, group, meal, when I need to with no consideration for, any- one else, their time, or arrangements, or my commitment to them, gone- forgotten. If I gotto go I gotto go…No one likes ‘me’ in these ways Addy.

Some-times this tension, voice, dismissal is right and healthy, and I stand for my boundaries, and claim my dignity and self respect…

Some-times it is because, I have so much complication inside me Addy, that the world just needs to accept me, this journey is hard on me, complex in me...I run to escape, lol, mentally and physically, from the work inside me!!

The Drs, as people, have their own, traits, and ways, of being and interacting, that quite often, I do not like them, at that time. Do not like some aspect, of the interaction, or the way the event is happening, often there is something that I do not like.

The next Dr that I work with, does not have to fully like me, aspects of me are un-likable.

The next Dr that I work with, has to RESPECT me, ACCEPT ME, ENCOURAGE ME, TEACH ME, the best strategies and insights that they have to offer…they do not always have to like me… they are there to guide my healing process, aid my self journey, support my growth and change...

Part of this journey, may or may not be, trusting enough, to speak the actual words, of the traumas, that were experienced…I will not know, You will not know, until we try, to connect to the T, what is going to be…

They will not always like me, and I will not always like them…

Dearest Addy, you are a complex person with complex circumstances, that just is, and just is, ok.

Please try to be accepting of this process, take in all of the practical advice up here for you.

Your past experience, has prepared you well for this time now, you know, how to make a stand when you need to. You can notice when you are struggling, you have got better at assessing other people, Yes Addy, all the negatives, are now your positives, you can use your experience to guide you this time...

Remember that, those that love you, accept you…breath deep, time to like some things about your-self Dear Addy…

Very Much thinking of you, well wishes MBBxxx

PS, when you can please share something that you like about yourself…I like your honesty…

My current therapist is a counselling psychologist. I hadn't really known what that meant before this thread so thanks to people for enlightening me too. Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate in saying she is the one person in all my years in 'the system' who actually seems to 'get' me and my problems and who takes the time to listen to me but also put stuff together to get the whole picture. She also doesn't just listen. She has helped me understand things about myself I have never dared consider before and I feel like we actually have a plan about how to tackle things, slowly, that doesn't just follow the same old 'challenge your beliefs / behaviour' model - which is good as I feel like I have had my fill of that. I have been seeing her for about 5 months now and she is helping me through a lot. Hope you get as much benefit from your new start addy, you deserve a break.

Yeah I agree mousies reply is brilliant it really helps and is very clear. I get what you mean Beth everyone has unlikeable parts to them and your right they don't have to like me just accept me the way I am. My dbt therapist made me feel very judged I once told him something I use as a way to self harm and he said that in a relationship people are supposed to be faithful and did I not hear how ridiculous I sounded that shut me up anyway. Other times too he said I was being ridiculous so I stopped telling him. I think I find it hard when people don't like me because I try so hard my therapist never saw the half of what I'm like my partner is the only one who has. In therapy I am usually compliant and quiet and won't argue I will disagree politely and assertively and then explode when I leave and self harm. That's why I find it hard to take I admit it though I probably am really unlike able like my partner complains that when people visit or try to talk to me I give of a feeling of go away but I don't mean too people make me tired it's tiring to sit and smile and make small talk I run out of things to say and I feel awkward and worry about saying something wrong so I end up saying nothing and them come across as rude. On the other side of it I admit my mouth is sometimes my biggest problem this morning I was complaining about my weight and my partner said he wouldn't change my weight but would my mouth. I'm embarrassed to admit my 11yr old daughter told me today she was proud of me for staying calm in a shop when I was short changed. I guess it's cause on Thursday in asda in a queue I was rude this man was sticking his nose in and I asked him to butt out and why did he think he knew everything my son and daughter were embarrassed but in a way I felt right I didn't ask for his opinion and I felt critized so then I reacted before my brain even had time to think I had spoken I always do it's like someone flicks a switch and I have no control. I am glad you are having a positive experience Artemis I have been reading abit about it and yeah it sounds like what I need the chance to discuss everything and why I am the way I am and do what I do without all the rules. Do you talk about anything in particular Artemis or is it just whatever comes up about what happened that week? I really hope this therapy works for me I need something to work.

I smiled when you said Beth you liked my honesty you would not believe how many times being honest as got me in trouble my dbt therapist said it was a good thing too he said they could always depend on me to tell it like it is which wasn't always good for him either but it is the way it is. What I like? I like that I am loyal and will always stick up for others and my kids I love them beyond belief and will do anything for them. Xx

Archived