Mental Health Forums

Sharpie Tattoo Art Of The Night!

Riverspell

http://www.mentalhealth-world.org.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-33229-0-98524400-1398491200.jpghttp://www.mentalhealth-world.org.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-33229-0-98854600-1398491259.jpghttp://www.mentalhealth-world.org.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-33229-0-43431200-1398491242.jpghttp://www.mentalhealth-world.org.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-33229-0-83907600-1398491224.jpg

So this happened last night. From about 12am to about 4:32am before I decided it was best to lay down for a bit. lol And yes, it's wrapped all the way around my forearm and covering the full length of it.

This was entirely free hand, no tracing, just an image to take the basic pose from. (Pose was from a drawing by "NeonDragon")

I started out with a pale blue Crayola marker as they wipe off REALLY easy with water. Just stick some water on a q-tip and you've got an eraser. So once I got the basic shapes and form down I got out a bit of a darker Crayola to get down a much firmer anatomy and line count. Once that was done, I took a dark enough but easily covered shade of Sharpie and got to work solidifying the line work. When I felt that the drawing was accurate enough by size and proportion (which was gradually changed over the course of this at times), I started with getting the overall body colors done. All the colors you see are blended, I don't own any of those colors. While I have a huge selection of sharpies (I seriously do) they aren't usually the right color I need. Too bright or too dark or even just too...rich. So I blended them into the shades and pigments I wanted. See the color of the wings? I used a pale peach/skin tone color on the bottom and over that I placed hot pink. The peach toned the pink way down and over that in places I put down straight red as well as blending in some of the black and magenta in the lines. Most of the body had a base coat of a medium gray or a light gray blue with an overcoat being usually a bright or forest green with gold flecks (which were over laid with a bit of the color directly below them) as scales. Some places it was turquoise or bright blue-green color that merged to the green spaces. Gold stripes on the back, tail, and legs as well as strewn throughout it's mane and tail fur. The face is actually a mix of peach, grey blue, and turquoise.

The lines actually ended up being largely black. They started out as a magenta color but as the colors were added I realized I needed darker and started touching it up with black. I didn't use a lot as I didn't want the lines to stand way out from the colors themselves.

What do you guys think? Is there any advice to be had? I'd welcome advice from all our lovely artists here!!!

My sister is visiting tomorrow and she wants me to do a drawing on her back. We're thinking a pheonix after several images I found of them and associated tattoo's (one of which she loved). So we'll have plenty of inspiration and basic poses to go from.

Riverspell, thats really impressive. Have you ever used a tattoo gun? if not, is this a field you want to get into? I have a half sleeve myself, which is very beautiful and intricate, Flowers and bumble bees. It would be lovely to see the finished work you do on your sisters back

I've never used actual tattooing tools and mediums. Most of my family is very against tattoo's and even piercings in general. Others have suggested to me to try out doing tattoo art, even if it was just making designs for people. But my dad got upset with me over it when I tried discussing it with him so I just dropped it. Still, I've done a few basic designs for friends. Of course my dad doesn't know that but it wouldn't matter now anyway.

Personally I think tattoo's can be beautiful and are definitely an art form and that if a person wishes to get one they should be able to without worry of persecution. I don't plan to ever have one of my own as I don't particularly like needles and I enjoy being able to do my own designs and being able to change them whenever. But hey, you want a tattoo? Go get it man! It's your body, not mine, and I'd actually be pretty excited to see it! I've got friends with tattoo's and I've even helped a few design their own or select one. My sisters plan to get their own when they turn 18 (as my dad is all, I'm kicking you out if you get one in my household and he's dead serious and my step-mom thinks it'll send you to hell for willfully disobeying God) and I'm helping them design their own. Providing ideas and sketches and trying to steer them away from some of their more bad ideas. For instance they want a matching tattoo on their inner hip, just above a pant line, that says "Mischief Managed". Ok, I get it, it's a tribute to a book serious you like. But putting it there can have all kinds of negative insinuations!

I'll make sure to get a shot of her back after it's done. Providing that it's decent and we haven't scrubbed it off. xDDD I've already got a basic sketch down that I'm actually pretty happy with. So I just have to hope I can draw it again on her back! *crosses fingers* Newspaper and human skin have very different textures and absorption rates so I dunno how it's going to look with the colors I've got down but we'll see. Also, I haven't done someones back before so this is a bit of a challenge for me. But you can't grow without facing challenges! Here's to facing it head on. lol

This is absolutely amazing and I mean that! I'd love to be able to draw. At first I thought it was a genuine tattoo, it looks like one! I'd love that as a tattoo on me! Unfortunately thought I cannot offer you any artistic advice as I don't draw but I thought this was brilliant and wanted to say something :)

Rogue xxx

Hey there kindred spirit...I have no likes left!!! but I LOVE IT...

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT...

Yes this is a beautiful way to absorb ourselves with creation, how wonderful...

Have you tired Henna dying?

I find that, I can give myself a smile for days, but change at will, my body art, I like this freedom of expression...

Well wishes from MBB

Archived