Mental Health Forums

Did

jessicarabbit

in the uk mental health can be argued as a mitigating factor in a criminal act

though its hard to establish a sound argument

but sentencing often does take into regard mental health issues

where professionals have provided statements supporting diagnoses and relevant issues

That's true. But how would they be able to differentiate between alters? Those are all parts of one person then? And the person is the one ultimately responsible?

in uk statutes there is no recognition of a person having split liability

as far as i'm aware the law wouldn't necessarily recognise alters as such

but would go on supporting evidence provided as a statement from expert witnesses

such as a psychiatrist or psychologist

yes alters as they're sometimes referred to, are within one human body

they exist within the mind and body of that person

as said, yes the person that commits a crime is responsible

there is no law of duress, though its been argued for in the uk for a few years

and it does exist in the usa

(this means where someone was forced to commit a crime,

the cases i'm aware of are where people were forced to commit crimes by criminals)

I like this thread. I had the same concern. DID is rare, but in my opinion only in the sense that it's full blown into alters. At the same time someone with identity issues may attach to the idea of it because in essence we all have different sides to our personality, albeit not fractured.

This was my point sage. That a lot of people diagnosable with a PD have fractured sense of self. Therefore split parts of their identity father than full blown different personalities. Any decent psychiatrist would say very similar!

I read a brilliant article on DID - I will look for it but not right now as I'm meant to be revising...!

It basically said that DID doesn't have to be about alters and alters are the rare component. DID is a controversial diagnoses, especially as so many people in South America appear to have the diagnoses. However, this article said that DID manifests from childhood trauma and that is displays as different personality states - so, one can show inconsistencies in personality but not necessarily have alters. I need to look for the article!

I think this is the article http://www.tasc-online.org.uk/pods-online/briefguidetoworkingwithdid.pdf - it does talk about alters but it also talks about different personality states and also how people can hide their DID.

It's a topic that interests me a fair bit, particularly as Pie has said I often come out with different voices and behaviours that I cannot remember. I'm not as dissociative as I used to be, although I work very hard to stay 'present'. Sometimes I 'spack out' (as I like to call it) but I have to be 'with it'. I do lose some time, though? But, even when I'm 'with it', I can feel different, dress in different styles etc. Co-conscious I think it is called.

I'm also interested in it because of the plausibility of the diagnoses or, rather, people who say they have it. There are so many people online who say they have the disorder - if I am honest, I struggle with the idea that a 2 year old alt can use a computer, type, spell (phonetically), describe feelings. I have 'met' someone online who admitted to 'faking'. That took a lot of courage, to admit that - imo, she still needs help and support and validation for other areas of her life - no-one makes that shit up without having some issue. If someone was happy in themselves, they wouldn't feel the need to fabricate. On the other hand, however, we then have to make a decision not to encourage it.

I tend to go onto Google scholar to look for information - there's so much shit online. Look for studies and research - it's all very validating and supportive of treatment.

Have done my revision! Cognition and perception, so fucking boring - it's all about the fucking eyeball and the ear! Haha.

Hope you're ok :) xxx

Toaster, your response is educated and very authentic. The article was very interesting. Many thanks for that. I think if I was with someone in real life and thru displayed some of these symptoms then I wouldn't question it. I am interested to read that your friend noted your diffferent voices etc. I am.guessing that these were prevalent during times of instability in your life? Sorry, I don't mean to focus on you! I agree with what you say about the validity of some people and their alters online. Very easy to hide or fake something like that, yet at the same time there is an issue there t hay warrants help and support. I wonder if those people find it so painfully hard to ask for help in other ways that they resort to using an alter as then it's not actually them asking for the.help? Fascinating subject though.

Very glad you are doing your own work too ;-)

Sometimes it still happens, but only when I'm under the influence (not very often) or really tired, or stressed.

I struggle with the idea of D.I.D. I don't know why, especially as I know, really, I have some sort of dissociative disorder.

I don't really know what else to say. Hope you're all ok :) xxx

Hello peoples, thank you mousie and others for some real good and positive information...

we are taken aback- I am a D.I.D experiencer...that just is, and is just ok, has to be, lol,as so far-I cannot change this we-ness...

Because the therapists that I worked with in previous years of life, have other clients, with our condition, my entire genuine experience-err,self, had not been invalidated, as err, deception or worse labeling, by Drs or other people, until this year...

May I just say, it is so very difficult,for anyone, to accept their own experience, what a blow to a persons spirit, and journey, when we apply, black and white thinking strategies to assess each other...let us share information, let us share truth...let us all be heard...

And whilst we all form our individual judgments, about what is real to us as individuals, let us not, dismiss the reality of others.

Let us not tell moonbeambeth and others that they do not exist...

Some people, no doubt lie and deceive, some really know, that they do not have 'others' alters' 'internals', some people go through stages of delusional thinking (like me, I am the ULTIMATE, delusional thinker we are WE), and the feelings of separated self and different alters, changes over time...Yes, these things happen...

But to what I thought was the questions....I come here because the people are lovely, open, supportive, and welcoming of my we-ness...I find the BPD world, its people and information, incredibly useful to progress my well-being...I find the techniques and therapies, offered to those with BPD, useful to me same reasons...Also this site allows me to identify an alter with their own account, I don't do this for them, but the freedom to do so, deepens the connections to the people here...we can come to know each other more fully...

About the D.I.D, you can measure physical changes, in many people with our experiencing, I literally, use different thinking, feeling, moving, lol, everything about me, when an alter is agent of the body, this can and has been measured using 'Brain scans', other things are measurable to, like allergies, people like us, may be fine with a medication, but an alter has an allergy to the same...stuff like this, rarely makes the programs at public level, it is a Neuro-scientifically measurable, experience for many of us.

If I missed the point of the thread, My sincere apologies, I never like to harm or offend, just trying to respond honestly out here, as always...Well wishes MBB

• 3 weeks later...

i disasociate when things arn't right in my head. think its a coaping stratogy

it use to happen a lot in hospital

not so much now that i'm out but it still happens now and then.

Archived