Mental Health Forums

I Can't Wash My Feet

Coal

ok not good news but no where else to put it. I had an operation and now I can't wash my feet for the next 6 weeks, I have OCD about being clean.

I'm not surprised this bothers you. When I've worn a heart monitor for 24 hours I have to go back to the hospital the next day without having a bath and that's bad enough so I really have a lot of sympathy for you having to wait 6 weeks.

It's hard to know what to suggest as I don't know much about operations on feet. If you have some kind of wound or scar it might be possible to wash around it. If it's all bandaged up changing your bandages very regularly might make you feel a bit more clean. Again, depending on the type of operation, it might be possible to use antiperspirant sprays.

Another thing is to keep distracting yourself from your feet- I don't know what you enjoy doing but you could read a book/watch a film/play a game which you usually find really engrossing, ask someone to help distract you, write or make something if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Did you speak to anyone at the hospital about how important it is that you don't wash your feet? If not maybe you could get in touch with a doctor or someone. They might just repeat what you've already been told but sometimes rules like 'don't wash your feet' aren't actually as important as they seem and another doctor/nurse might say it's fine to wash your feet every now and then. But this might not be possible, it really depends on what kind of operation you've had done (btw you don't have to give details about the operation, it's not my business to ask and I'm not asking, I'm just explaining why my suggestions might be completely off base)

Sorry that you had to have a heart monitor, hopefully nothing too bad. There is a chemical on my toes, which would burn my feet if I were to wash so I have to wear this special bad like things to stop the water getting in. I have been using baby wipes around them, but still need a shower. I did tell them, but its either that or the pain which I don't know which is worse. I asked about a dry shower just for my feet, but they said I could not even have that. So I will have to wait 6 weeks. Luckily I can shower the rest of my body everyday.I am watching modern family to try to distract myself but at the moment it does not work at least not at the moment. I am sure I will get used to it I guess. Thanks for your reply. I fell down the stairs and broke my big toes, not sure how many times because of the medication but it really hurt.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived