Mental Health Forums

Won't Let Myself Sleep

Becca95

For some reason I am almost stopping myself from getting enough sleep and Im not entirely sure why.

I had 4 hours sleep last night, 5 the night before and right now I am constantly yawning and almost falling asleep whilst trying to do coursework, but I am already thinking when I go to bed in a minute, I'll sit up for a while doing this and that even though I'm completely exhausted etc.

I love sleep but for some reason I feel like I shouldn't sleep.

It's hard to explain. Sorry if this didn't make sense, just wondering if anyone else knows what Im going on about!

Think I can relate, does ít feel like your thoughts are going by quickly? Unable to focus on a task, think ýouve got loads to get done but cant think? I've found trying to read a book difficult when like this. Drawing is good, anything creative seems to calm things down. A favourite movie or music to chill. How about setting a schedule for studying, house chores, sleep ect till you get into a comfortable routine? You'll be over-tired and in need of a decent sleep. Set yourself a time limit for your studies and a time for heading to bed, if you think you need to get up to do something, write it down to remind you to do it tomorrow. Hopefully you'll get a good nights sleep 2night.

Hi Domino Vox,

Thank you for responding.

I think thats part of the problem but it feels more to me that I just don't want to go to sleep no matter what and almost like I shouldn't?

I find coursework very hard to do due to lack of focus and concentration, like you with trying to read a book. I find it very frustrating and feel very dumb. It takes me hours to type just one paragraph and thats if Im lucky and having a good day. I've had to result to asking for extensions for my work.

I tend to listen to music or draw when sitting in bed, helps to pass the time. I've been told by my MH doctor I need to get a sleeping routine in place but I just feel compulsed to staying up.

Thank you again, and hope you sleep well too.

I've just read your post and thought it was interesting as I was taking sertraline, I take propanalol every now and then when needed and now I'm on fluoxetine..

i find sleep really difficult because of my traumatic nightmares.

don't wanna shut my eyes at night tbh.

Archived