Mental Health Forums

Books

Eagleheart

If anyone wants to read something awesome, laugh out loud funny, light and heart warming, I highly recommend The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion! It's so great!!!

• 2 months later...

Oh,how lovely is the power of a good book.The most favourite part of my day is getting into bed at night & settling down with a good book.Sooooo.............

OMG! Seriously OMG!!! I'm on the last few pages of a book that has had me gripped.I don't want it to end.I love the characters & to me,they are REAL people.It's about a quadreplegic & his new carer.It plays with every emotional response you can possibly have.It's basically a love story but also,so much more.God,i need to stop gushing & tell you what it's called!

ME BEFORE YOU by JOJO MOYES.

If you only read one book this year,make it this one.xxx

• 1 month later...

I want to recommend a book about depression & an unconventional form of therapy.

Saved By Cake by Marian Keyes.

Marian Keyes is a prolific author & has written some great fiction but i was amazed when i read an interview with her,several months back,where she very honestly discussed her fight with overwhelming depression.She went to a very dark place but found a huge source of help from baking cakes.It may sound over-simple but it is amazing how much baking transformed her life.

Books are a lifeline to me. I started to get bullied at school at the age of 8 (long time ago) and I stopped leaving the house. Books were the only thing that kept me from falling apart. I read all the Famous Five, Secret Seven and Nancy Drew books. My favourite book of all time is one from my childhood. It is called The Swish of the Curtain by Pamela Brown.

Even now, when I am in the depths of a bad spell, holding a book (just holding, not reading) helps me to remain grounded.

I was bought a Kindle for christmas a couple of years back by a family member, but I just can't warm to it. I need to feel the book in my hands, even smell the pages before I turn them. I have a habit of raiding Amazon every now and again.

Yayyyy a thread about books!

And with tips! Going to look some of them up!

I love reading always have. I love the feel of a real book in my hands but read a lot on kindle now as here its way cheaper that way.

I find reading a great escape which can be so helpfull in times of stress. I also think reading can teach us so much about other people, places etc.

Right now Im reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

I read lots of non fiction as well as fiction. Some books I love; White Oleander by Janet Fitch, The cement garden-Ian McEwan, Practical magic, The secret history-Donna Tartt, The beach by Alex Garland, Bridget Jones, everything by Douglas Coupland, Nicci French, Arnon Grunberg, I could go on forever :)

It's so nice to read of other people's love of books. My life is certainly enriched by them & they are just such wonderful places to go to.

I'm reading quite a gritty book set on Lewis atm. It's by Peter May & i think it's the first in a trilogy. After that i am planning to read a book by Neil Gaiman,whose books are beautifully written. I have a backlog of about 20 novels waiting for me. Yay! Heavenly escapism!

Archived