Mental Health Forums

Binge Eating Disorder

emilyispoo

Hello,

so over 2 years ago I was anorexic; forced to gain weight at home with a BMI of 12.

As I wanted to both hide from my feelings, and try and stop people getting angry and leaving me, I ate. However, I would restrict as usual, then massively binge before being weighed. Now a year weight restored, I CANNOT stop binging! Occasionally I slip into heavily restricting, but as of late I have just been gaining horrendous amounts. I hate it and it makes me even more depressed, but why the impulse is there, I just don't feel bad about doing it. If anything I get panicky if I don't binge. Does anyone else have this? Or have any advice? Sorry to ask. I've just signed up.

hi and welcome to the forum :)

i hope you find this place really useful. it has been for me

i can relate to the food thing

i get panicky and fearful about eating and not eating

compulsive eating for me is to meet the needs of deep distress

so its comfort eating and once it starts it has to run its course

otherwise the consequences can be despair and profound restlessness

and the not eating is to do with self loathing, self punishing, fear of being judged, disliked, ugly, rejected etc

my most recent strategy has been to have a regular regime

i'll be specific cos i think that might be useful

i mix my own meusli (no sugar, wheat, dairy) and add fruit

i buy two high nutrition low calorie salad pots from marks & spencers

and i have these meals at regular intervals through the day

it seems to work

i keep all bad foods out of my place cos they are just way too tempting/shaming

i've no idea if this helps but i hope it does

i use to bindge eat when i had a massive issue with perdging my food

hope someone can help here too...

stay safe and try and be kind to your self

i know its difficult but please try...

• 3 months later...

I had anorexia and low BMI. I tried to increase my food intake just enough to stop the dizzy spells, suddenly I lost all control, binged and binged and binged. I've gained around 3 stone. So incredibly depressing. I feel like I have no control at all. Every day I say "tomorrow" but tomorrow never comes.

• 4 weeks later...

I was an anorexic weight, and restricted for years. I had bulimia for a long time too BUT when I began eating after a prolonged period of restricting, I binged a lot. I thought I would never stop eating. Yes, I gained weight, I won't lie (and to be fair, medically, I needed to) but I promise you it DID end. Your body will level out and you will find out what a satisfying meal feels like without it turning into a binge.

It takes a while, your body has been deprived for so long it is totally confused. Give yourself time. You have to completely relearn what's "normal". I was convinced that was it for me, that I was destined to eat like that or take back the control by restricting again. But I am managing, doing well even. I eat what I like (within reason), I don't deny myself anything (which is just as well as I have a very sweet tooth), and I don't let myself get to that stage of being past hunger (you know what I mean.....). Refeeding is one step, it gets you medically stable and able to start the real work. Staying healthy is a challenge, but after a while you will get to a point where it's an after-thought and you get on with living.

• 2 months later...

Eat a balanced, healthy breakfast with protein every morning. Give up Dieting.Binge eating is a disease of isolation and secrets. When you attempt to recover in private, you perpetuate the isolation that drives the disorder. When you let yourself get very hungry, your blood sugar drops which in impairs cognitive skills. Your body just needs glucose and it needs it now, so instinctively.

Archived