Mental Health Forums

Health Checks

WhiteNazgul

Did anyone else know that there are no nhs guidelines for regular health checks as part of your review when on meds, you only get a health check if you have side effects lol. Found that out from my gp, going through the complaint process at the mo and that was in the letter from the gp because one of my complaints was why have i never been given any health checks as part of my every 6 month reveiw. So yes looks like ill be asking the nhs ombudsman why there are no guidelines in place and dont you think there should be lol.

Thanks just glad that at least this time i've chosen the battle instead of it normally choosing me lol.

I didn't actually know this but it doesn't surprise me. I have lots of health problems but they always get dismissed, it's only when I get rushed to hospital that people find the things that are wrong with me. Even with side effects the general response is "tough, deal with it" or "try these meds instead", I've never had a health check. I do get blood tests on my thyroid every 3 months and on my white blood cells/platelets once a year (and I have had other tests in the past) but that's the closest I've ever come to a 'health check' except at the hospitals and they don't check everything, they just keep checking till they've found something wrong that could explain the symptoms and then they don't bother looking anywhere else.

I think it's bad- a lot of people die or nearly die because their symptoms aren't treated. In some cases it's because they were too scared to see a doctor about them but I bet in some cases it's because their doctor told them to go away and stop wasting their time.

• 6 months later...

Archived