Mental Health Forums

What Would Be The First Sentence Of Your Autobiography?

Riverspell

I've come across this before, though I believe the first time I saw it it was asking for the title to one's monologue.

Instead I'm curious to ask what others would write as an introduction to their story. Would it be amusing or witty? Pensive or sorrowful? Perhaps ambivalent?

I ask that there are no judgments cast, though I know most of you would not even consider it. Instead lets share an idea, maybe a smile or a laugh or a tear.

How would you introduce your story?

This is mine and took me longer than I thought it would to think it up.

"It is hard to describe the nature of mental illness to the average layman and I often find myself scrambling to explain why I'm having a food fight with an invisible poltergeist."

I haven't yet decided what the first line would be but I did decide on a title.

Dragons, Volcanos and Black Holes.

I'lll get back to you with the first line.

I remeber the darkness. It came over me like a dark cloth of the darkest depths of space.

The somewhat distant memories of happier times seemed to be drifting further and further away like a distant leaf being blown in the autumn breeze.

I remember the sunset on those holidays in the sun. Oh how life seemed eaiser then.

The clock ticked away with a rythmical tick tock tick tick, as seconds turned into minutes. minutes into hours

time never stood still. The darkness was upon me and left me with a big thick shroud of emptyness.

My first sentence would be:

"I've always shied away from the world, I was overdue and my birth was induced, so, even right from the get-go, I was unwilling to come out into the world"

" I always knew my journey through life, would be a hard one. Everywhere I go, misery seems to follow-Thats just how it is"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd love to read some of your autobiographies. I love autobiographies, I love being able to be in someone elses head and mental illnesses are fascinating to me, absolutely tortorous but thoroughly interesting.

I'd open with the stolen lines;

"Love at first sight may sound trite but it's true, you know. I could list the detail of everything you ever wore or said or how you stood the day as we spent the last night on Maudlin Street. "Goodbye house, forever!" I never stole a happy hour around here."

• 5 months later...

Archived