Mental Health Forums

Duty Team

jezzie_jay

so, i've got an appointment tomorrow for an assessment with a Duty Team. i got the referral after winding up in hospital last week following an overdose. other than the fact that the assessment is going to take about an hour, i know nothing about it. am i likely to get any help tomorrow? or is this just another team of people i have to divulge the history of my shitty life to, just to get transferred somewhere else?

well, they were bloody useless. gave me three places to get in touch with, two of which id already been told to contact and the other might not even have anything running at the present time to help me. so, as expected, i spent an hour spilling my guts to two strangers who gave me f**k all help. seriously, what do i have to do to get a diagnosis of a personality disorder?!? i am so F**KING fed up!

I can understand why you are so annoyed at being passed from pillar to post. It is incredibly frustrating when it seems like no-one is listening to you.

Just wanted to say though that getting a dx of a personality disorder doesn't necessarily open up any more doors or entitle you to more treatment. It hasn't been the case for me, and I know others on here would say the same. Don't be too hasty about wanting to get a label - they're not magical tickets to anything 'better'!

I hope you are feeling ok today. Maybe you can keep coming here to talk if any of the 3 options you have are not helpful to your situation. :)

(((((jezzie-jay)))) it's so frustrating and depressing when no one will help. Anyone would think they never talk to each other. They insist someone else can help but they usually just pass you on to someone else.

Are you having therapy or anything like that? If not your doctor can refer you or you could get private therapy. Most therapists don't seem to be able to give a diagnosis but they are connected to people who can. They might not to be able to pass you directly to someone who can diagnose you so there might be a bit more annoying sessions of divulging your life story but that doesn't mean you won't get to someone who can eventually.

A lot of professionals seem to feel getting a diagnosis is pointless and that it will cause more harm than good but I think they probably will do it if you pressure them enough. But to an extent it's not the diagnosis you need it's the treatment and you might find you can get that without a diagnosis- I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you don't have a personality disorder? I don't mean that in a dismissive way but maybe they don't feel you have one, I know also a lot of people won't give the dx has it can be more damaging than good a lot of stigma comes with it and it doesn't always guarantee treatment either. Have you seen a psychiatrist? As they are the ones who can give you a dx duty officers can't as they aren't qualified, usually your gp can refer you to a psychiatrist. I'm trying to get rid of my dx I hate it I feel people treat me differently cause of it and not in a good way. Good luck with it all x

Archived