Mental Health Forums

The Nhs

lonelyheartemma

I don't really want to complain about anyone to the NHS as I'm scared it will backfire on me. So I thought I'd write a letter with some feedback and suggestions.

I thought I'd do something like this, which raises a few important points and explains why it's a problem for me. If it doesn't make sense or if I've got any of the long words wrong or if there's something else I should mention please let me know! I'm not expecting any sort of reply but you never know.

I am writing with some feedback and suggestions based on recent experiences with your service. I prefer not to name individuals as I am concerned this may have negative repercussions, and in any case I feel the problems I have experienced are general rather than particular.

Safety and Anonymity for Patients

I think it would be helpful for each patient to have a card which contains such necessary details as name, address, phone number and date of birth. When visiting the surgery, I dislike having to give this information verbally. It is extremely worrying that anyone sitting in the surgery behind me could hear my name and number and take note if them. It seems much safer to hand a card to the receptionist with my details on.

Sensitivity

I find some of the 'small talk' offered by nurses in particular to be slightly insensitive. I do not work for health reasons and feel uncomfortable when nurses routinely ask me "Are you working today?". I am sure it is intended as no more than a friendly enquiry and an attempt to put me at my ease, but it does seem to contain the suggestion that I ought to be working.

It's actually a rather odd question if you think about it. It's not as though indisposition is particularly uncommon in people who need to visit a nurse. A common result of health problems is that people are unable to attend work, either temporarily or permanently. An inability to work can produce a great deal of embarrassment, unhappiness and stress, so employment is perhaps not the most tactful subject to raise in the circumstances. Even for those who are in full-time work, the question could potentially hold the implication that the patient should not be attending medical appointments in working hours.

However, I would like to commend the nurse, who on hearing the scandalous news that I was signed off, continued to treat me with respect and kindness. This is infinitely preferable to the nurse whose initial warmth and friendliness was instantly replaced with a cold silence. While everyone is of course entitled to their own opinions (and indeed can't help having them), I do feel that in their professional capacity as a healthcare provider, they should have some proficiency in pretending that I am not beneath their contempt.

Blood Tests in the Surgery

I feel that nurses need to be more competent in the giving of blood tests. Whenever I have had blood taken at my local surgery, I have been left with a painful bruise- in the most recent case, my whole arm became swollen, which is of particular concern given that I am currently under the care of a haematologist. I believe the contusion was caused at least partly due to the fact that the needle was entered into my skin some inches away from what I would regard as the target area.

Listening to Patients

I believe more effort should be made on the part of the doctors to respond to what the patients have actually said. Of course, many patients are apt to worry about nothing and to think that the slightest abrasion on the skin is a sign of imminent death, but unrealistic or not, the fears are nevertheless very real to the patients themselves. One of the most frightening experiences, in my opinion, is when a doctor seems not to have heard what I've said. Advice that appears to be completely in opposition to the symptoms described is particularly disturbing.

For example, on informing the doctor that eating a full meal produces feelings of severe nausea and stomach pain, a patient does not expect to be told to try eating more. It is possible that the doctor meant that the patient should eat little and often, rather than gorging themselves at every meal, but if no further explanation is forthcoming, how can the patient understand the true meaning? While a doctor's time is limited, a bit of clarity can make a big difference to a confused, distressed and unwell patient.

To give another example, on informing the doctor that feelings of depression have increased dramatically, a patient does not expect to be told to reduce their intake of anti-depressants. The suggestion might not be as nonsensical as it appears at first hand- taking large quantities of medication can reduce energy so reducing the dose could, theoretically, increase a patient's energy and ultimately help to lift their mood. There might be other medical reasons why a doctor might make such a suggestion, but all the patient knows is that they have been asked to do something that seems likely to make them feel even worse, which seems an ineffective solution, in addition to being unlikely to increase their feelings of self-worth.

Of course, the doctor hasn't the time to sit down with the patient and tell them what a worthy human being they are, but a few words of explanation, coupled with the assurance that if their suicidal feelings intensify, they will be allowed to return to the former dose or try an alternative medication, can make an intolerable situation slightly more bearable. When you're that unhappy, even 'slightly' is worth it.

I hope you will take my comments about your service into consideration.

Archived