Mental Health Forums

Obsessions

Kalli

Just wondering, i dont know if this is a me thing or a bpd thing. I get completely obsessed with a band or wrestler and it lasts for months at a time. Its all consuming and its all i think about / watch and listen to/ stalk there twitter for months then one day i wake up and im not interested anymore. After a few weeks the cycle starts again with another band or wrestler. Ive been like this as long as i can remember. Anyone else get like this? or can anyone shed any light why I do it? I feel slightly pathetic as im a 30 something married woman.

Thanks

I can understand you being concerned about it as society says that someone of your approximate age shouldn't be 'fangirling' over anybody. But actually, your age is irrelevant. After all, look at all those old women still screaming and chucking their knickers at Tom Jones!

In all seriousness though, I don't think you should be all that concerned. Clearly it's time consuming and obsessive and you would probably want rid of your tendency to do this. It's almost certainly a trait of your BPD as I can recognise some of my own behaviour in what you've said there. I can't tell you why you or I or anyone else does it, it's just a part of what we have.

The fact that you've recognised that you could have an issue is a big step. The next step for you should be to try and formulate a plan (and it doesn't have to be massively elaborate or anything, it could just be something you quickly map out in your mind) on how to reduce the amount of time you spend doing this. And don't get upset if it doesn't work initially - half the battle is finding a way to deal with these problems, and it takes time. The other half is dealing with them and staving off relapses.

Hope that helps! xx

(By the way, which wrestlers? I'm a wrestling fan as well.)

I do this too. Usually actors but it has been other kinds of celebrity. It always starts off as something that makes me happy but then it often turns into something that makes me miserable.

I try to focus on the parts that make me happy and avoid giving them the chance to reject me. I hate social media as everyone seems to reject me so I don't go near it anymore. I find it easier with actors as I can focus more on loving the characters they play. A character can't really reject you. I also tend to watch TV programmes from 20-30 years ago so the actors I like are in their 60s or 70s now which puts me off them a bit. I'm collecting all my favourite actor's DVDs but I'm doing it slowly and restricting myself to one episode at a time- it was difficult at first but it's turned out to be more fun that way as everything lasts longer and there's always something to look forward to. I do have the urge to contact him but I don't know how- which means he can't reject me. He doesn't seem to have facebook or twitter but I'm not sure I'd want to contact him in that way because they are so public.

But it's so hard to control who you love and you can't be completely on your guard. One day I probably will happen to see some modern actor and then suddenly I'll be in love. I hope I'll be able to be sensible about it but who knows?

Emma it feels great to know im not the only one, it makes me feel normal to know that someone else is the same.

Settng sun the main ones have Jimmy Jacobs, Alex Shelley, Dean Ambrose and Velvet Sky. I dont watch TNA anymore as its got terrible but i still watch wwe and roh.

I have suffered awful obsessions since I was 5 years old. Mostly with a band, tv show or celebrity but I also get people obsessions with strangers, colleagues etc. I've been obsessed with a colleague for a year, it has completely taken over my life, everything in my life revolves around them.

I have quick obsessions that last a few weeks but most last months or even years.

Wow I didn't realise this could be a component of my issues. I develop obsessions usually with hobbies, or collecting things sometimes with other things but I'll quite literally go to the far ends of the country to further the obsession. Sometime later it fades and I'm onto the next big thing.

I had no idea there were others who experience this too

Archived