Mental Health Forums

Cbt Task

lonelyheartemma

Sorry for starting so many threads.

I have a CBT book which I'm mostly not finding helpful. As it's a book it's got to be aimed at the majority of people and a lot of it just isn't relevant for me. It keeps talking about what normal people do and they are mostly things I don't do so that makes me feel like a freak. Then a lot of the exercises just don't fit with my particular problems.

But today's exercise does look like it could be helpful and at least it gives me something practical to do so I'm sharing it.

I had to make up a soundtrack of 5-6 songs that inspire me and now I've got to listen to it every day for a week. Here's what I chose and why. (These aren't my favourite songs in the world but they are all songs I like.)

1. You've Got a Friend in Me (Toy Story)

The playlist starts by looking at the positives in my current situation. This track reminds me that the situation I'm in now isn't completely awful. I'm not doing this alone, I do have friends even though you're really all online friends.

2. What Makes You Beautiful (One Direction)

In the second song I start to look towards the future and the things that seem to be in my way. I worry a lot about being ugly. This song is about different kinds of beauty, how it's not just about where my features are. The song shows that beauty isn't always something you can see in yourself, in some ways it's an advantage if you can't see it and that other people will be able to see it even if I can't so I shouldn't let this hold me back.

3. Tortures of Every Kind (from an opera called The Abduction from the Seraglio)

The next stage in the playlist is looking at other people who show it's possible to stay strong and survive. I won't go into the plot details as it could be triggery but the character who sings this song is in a horrible situation where a guy has threatened to treat her badly if she doesn't give in to his demands. But she's determined to stay true to who she is and she'd rather suffer than give in and be the person the guy wants her to be. In the end she does get away from him. This song gives me someone to try to be more like, it tells me to keep fighting and not give in, no matter how badly I am being hurt.

4. Crawl (Chris Brown)

This song is about getting from where I am to where I want to be. It shows that when something knocks you down you start off be crawling and you gradually work up to when you're flying. This song reminds me that every small step is still progress, even when you're just crawling it's progress.

5. Camelot Finale (Camelot the musical)

The final song is about how anything in theory is possible. It's not really about the whole musical, just a line about how everyone is just a drop in the ocean (i.e. we're all equal) but some of the drops sparkle. For some reason this song makes me feel like I could sparkle too. I think everyone sparkles really though you need to find the people who can see the sparkles because not everyone can and the people who see it aren't always the people you'd expect to see it. My family can't see it but maybe other people will be able to.

Hey Emma, nice to share with us your task. I read a lot of hope in the songs you've chosen, that's really positive. Also I don't think at all that you'd be a freak, that's just not you. Hope that you have fun listening to your playlist and that the book turn out to be more helpful than it seems at first look. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Threemoons. To be honest I didn't keep up listening every day, I got a bit bored listening to the same songs in the same order and I was worried they might lose their power if I listened to them when I didn't really want to. Sometimes I do get obsessive about a song and listen to it several times a day but then after a while I get fed up with it and I can never quite remember what was so wonderful about it. But I'm keeping the playlist and I'm going to keep playing it every so often.

Lots of people call me a freak. Including me but not just me.

You're not a freak, Emma, or I'm one too cause I often forget why I love a song. It often has to do with the lyrics but not always. Take care.

Archived