Mental Health Forums

Origami From Away

Riverspell

I completed an origami modular project while I was off on a more or less hiatus. Cause life is life. But I thought I'd share and maybe ask for some ideas. Like, have you seen an origami model that looks like fun? I love finding new things to fold!

This is a "Five Intersecting Tetrahedra" origami model. If you enter that in Google it should be the first result. But if you do want to try it and can't find it I can link you.

It took me about 2-3 hours to slot all the pieces together. Technically, like with most modular origami (and origami in general) you don't need glue, tape or thread to keep it together. In this case I did glue the pieces to one another for added stability as they kept popping apart. Apparently I'm not the only person who's put this together that had this problem. Unfortunately, the gluing meant that I could not mess up at all or I'd have to cut the pieces and start over. A terrifying prospect because of the number of pieces I had to fold. lol

My youngest sister helped me finish folding the pieces because there were a lot and I kept getting distracted. I put it together on my own though.

So what do you all think? Any ideas for other things to fold?

Wow, that is awesome! :)

I used to be really into origami when I was younger. Couldn't do it now though as I have really bad shaky hands caused by my meds :(

This tetrahedra looks cool! I imagine it suspended at the ceiling by a nice piece of colored wire. When we were at the psych clinic this year we did a flying bird in origami. It was wing beating when one pulled its tail. I think you can find it by searching "origami flapping bird" on Google.

Artemis84:

That just sucks! My hands shake at random now too and sometimes will jerk or just lose grip and drop things. Sometimes it makes it hard for me to even type or hold my drawing tools. Which is a big frustration. I'm sorry yours got to the point it is. =C

Threemoons:

Thanks! It's a bit big to be hanging it from the ceiling. My current project I'm trying to make small so that it can be hung. Makes it difficult to hold and place the pieces though which is why mine are usually large. I think I've folded a flapping bird before but that was a really long time ago. I'll look it up. Would probably go well with my leaping frog!

Data:

http://mars.wne.edu/~thull/fit.html

So that's the link so you can see the visuals to make more sense of it. Every piece is individually folded but they are all the same pattern. So yes, every piece is the same. This model had about 60 individual pieces I believe. I suck at math so that's an estimate. All the pieces will have a "pocket" and a "latch" that will keep the pieces together once they are all slotted into place. Though like I described, I had to use glue with this model to keep it sturdy and together.

Lily-Bee:

Thank you!

Archived