Mental Health Forums

100 Days Of Happiness

bibiddi

I dont know if any of you have heard of this challenge?

I did this earlier this year, and I truly swear it was a very important part of my being more content today.

The challenge is,for each and every day, for 100 days to take a photo of something that made you feel happy.

It was very, very difficult at the start, and I know I took a few photo's of things that I felt should make me happy, but I wasnt actually feeling it. I kept with it, and completed the challenge.

It was great for mindfulness.

I used to go 'Ahh yeah, I do mindfulness - but its not been that big a change.'

But having to get photographic evidence of that moment that made me feel happy was very helpful, especially as many moments of happiness were brief e.g. seeing a group of swans flying overhead makes me happy, but I probably wouldnt be able to recall it by the end of the day.

It meant that I was having to be aware of every feeling.I do remember things happening, and I was thinking 'Does this make me feel happy?' By the end of the challenge, I was able to feel the happiness, it was as if by being mindful, I had unblocked my feelings, and I was more aware of the positive feelings I did have.

If you like photography, and are in a place of exploring mindfulness, then this challenge may be of help to you.

I like both photography and mindfulness so it's something I would like to try. Thank you for talking about it, I hadn't heard of this before.

(((bibiddi)))..........I like the idea of this challenge.............thank you very much for posting..............Funnily enough, someone sent me through a photo that they had taken just over the weekend, and I was in it..............I'm normally quite camera shy...........and you know what................it showed, that for that moment I was happy and smiling...............I know this is sort of in reverse to what you mention but if it hadn't been taken or sent to me, I know I wouldn't have been aware of that moment.............so...........seeing the photo was a good prompter that happy moments do happen!...........I will definitely keep my phonecamera close by over the next 100 days...............Thank you............Pickles.xxx

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot to add another bonus I gained from it.

On those days that I wanted to do nothing but hide under the duvet, I would curse this challenge, and say all grumpily 'I've got to do something that makes me happy'

But by going outside, or chatting with a friend. or reading a good book, or whatever it was, really did make me feel better.

I also posted the photos everyday on facebook, and everyone knew what I was doing. So I felt I couldnt miss a day.

Archived