Mental Health Forums

Well Done You

lonelyheartemma

This is for everyone who finds a Christmas a struggle. If you're behind GMT you might like to skip this post for now and come back after midnight. I actually love Christmas which makes me very lucky and maybe the wrong person to be writing this but what I and everyone on here understands is the difficulty of getting through the most challenging days. For many people Christmas is one of them.

This can be one of the most difficult times for lots of reasons. Memories. The lack of a family around you. The overwhelming pressures of a family around you. The expectation that you should be happy. The financial implications. The almost complete lack of mental health support. An apparent obligation to drink alcohol which can make the problem worse and interact with medication. Probably a million other things I can't think of right now.

But you got through it. It might have been terrible. It's possible you used coping methods you might regret- another thing most people on here can understand- but you got there.

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean things are better now. Our problems don't vanish just because midnight has arrived, if only! Even if the situation has improved the effects of Christmas can linger. But this part is over now and you don't have to do it again for 364 days.

So well done. :grouphug[1]:

Archived