Mental Health Forums

Questions about SSRI

dug89

I was recently diagnosed with OCD yesterday and started on 20mg of Citalopram. I feel like a zombie. I have, basically, no emotions. I feel numb. Today is my second day on this medication and I felt really dizzy and collapsed. My vision was also blurred. Anyone here else felt this way? I also heard from various SSRI reduces dopamine levels. Is this why I'm feeling like a zombie?

It is likely it is the Citalopram that is making you feel weird.  But you are at the VERY early stages of it entering your body so I think you can't tell if it will subside and settle down yet. It often does and the zombie-like state can lift, along with the other side-effects.  However, if it made you collapse I think you need to go back to your Dr and check it out with them.  Maybe they could start you at a lower dose perhaps? I don't mean to state the obvious but if it makes you feel this bad, you probably shouldn't be alone and you definitely shouldn't be driving etc. either.

Hope you feel better soon.

(Btw, I am not in any way medically trained.)

Its good to mention this to your docter indeed and to be very carefull with things like driving if youre this affected.

Some general info about SSRIs; it can take two weeks or longer before you start to notice the positive effects of this med. In the first week upto 2 weeks you can have initial side effects that pass. They are usually side effects like nauseau, headache, dizzy feeling, general stuff. If you have severe side effects in the sense of a fever or something weird contact your doc asap.

A way to prevent the side effects from being so heavy at the start is by building up the dose slower but you need to discuss this with your doc not just do it by yourself.

Dont mix with alcohol!

Archived