Mental Health Forums

Quetiapine? Anyone had this.

Charlie1986

So it's safe to say I'm in utter crisis. My eating disorder is back full force. My BPD symptoms got 100 times worse and my med's don't help at all.

I am on sodium valproate at the minute but I rang the psych today because I'm at work ready to smash the place up and he's letting my doctor prescribe quetiapine in the short term because I see the psych on the 18th.

Does this help at all?

we are all different and all have different symptoms so it would work for some yes, it helped me when I was on it but I dont even know what parts you are wanting help with.  Just take it and see how it works for YOU, you will find out soon enough and it can be reviewed with the pdoc on 18th

I found quetiapine made me tired and its great for sleep and it did help with anxiety when I used to suffer from that.

Its a strange drug because very high doses apparently make you feel less sedated than low doses. But the doctors have the experience to know what you need.

I found it a bit addictive but I reckon it should be ok if you are on it for a month or less.  If you take it for a long time you probably need to taper it off gradually (over a week or two) when you come off it.

He warned me that it's a benzo and it can be addictive but I don't tend too have an addictive personality. He he doesn't think med's will help at all really it's only in my crisis and insistence that we are trying something to help.

I agree with him to be fair. I don't think med's are the answer in the long term but until my therapy starts properly I need to not be functioning at breaking point level. I am going to lose my job if it carries on.

He just kept saying you have too learn to not act on your emotions to which I said I don't act on them normally but I'm now struggling to catch it before it happens anymore and I'm losing my head. That's when he agreed to the quetiapine. 

Im just done in. I've lost nearly 2 stone in about 6 weeks. I'm hellbent on not being here. I don't care how much I damage myself anymore. Litterally empty inside at the minute. 

This just doesn't get any easier and I don't have any idea why.

Hi Charlie,

I take this but not related to an eating disorder. I'm told that my dose is very low compared to most others. I did find it helped enormously with sleep and definitely made me less anxious/panic attack u at the start (first 3+ months) but has definitely worn off gradually over the last couple of months. Not really sure what to do.

As for the weight you have lost all I can say is that Quetiapine made me put weight on at the start and although I'm slim I am heavier now than I was six months ago.

Hope your appointment goes well :)

it isn't a benzo at all

it is something completely different and not addictive - or at least not  like benzo's are

it is good for quietening the head

Archived