Mental Health Forums

Natural Herbal Alternatives to anti depressants ?

FoxLadyG

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on here, but definitely not a newbie to mental health problems. Im 31, female and have BPD .I am trying to battle really low moods at the moment as naturally as I can, as I really dislike all the side effects I get when I try anti-depressants and the whole weaning myself off them.

I don't want to be an emotionless robot, I'd just like to be a lil bit more level headed .

I exercise regularly , I'm following slimming world and have already lost over 3 stone and feel so much more physically fitter, but mentally ...I'm  better then I was last year when I couldn't leave the house, but I just battle with low moods, staring into space when I feel like this feeling unable to move like I'm floating on a cloud ...

This is getting worse as I'm trying to get myself back into work and I'm probably putting too much pressure on myself.

I want to try something herbal to level my moods and keep me calm when I get stressed out. Any recommendations on any remedies and where I can get these from would be greatly appreciated please??

Very kind regards,

thank you so much for reading this,

FoxLadyG 

xx

Hi, welcome to the forums.  

Sounds like you are doing a lot to try and allow yourself to feel better, that is really positive.  I also have bpd and a long history of mental health issues.  I am fairly heavily medicated at the moment and I really worry about what so many years on so many drugs is doing to my body so I can understand your striving for natural remedies.  I don't have a huge knowledge of that area but I used to take St John's Wort for my depression in the early days. Have you tried that?  You can get it in any health food shop or I've even seen it in some supermarkets.  I dunno if it'd be any good for you or not but maybe worth a look?

Hi (((FoxLadyG)))..........Welcome to the forums...........I'm on anti-depressants now, and have been for about 9 months, but before this, I was recommended 5HTP by someone here, and I have to say, I really noticed that they lifted my mood enormously, very quickly and are worth thinking about or discussing maybe with a good Health shop person................I wanted to stay on these, but when I was referred to a psychiatrist, and also the fact that I'm a recovering alcoholic too, it was thought I needed something that didn't give me such a quick fix!!...........and I can understand what they mean, cos anti-depressants in my case certainly don't do that.................I did find 5 HTP very helpful though...............mustn't mix them with anything else mind, like AD's or other depression natural remedies..............Pickles.xxx

• 11 months later...

Definitely talk to your GP, chemist or local herbalist about herbal alternatives.  Just be sure they don't interfere with any medicines you might be taking.  For example, St. John's Wort can make the birth control pill ineffective, so don't take it if you're on the pill.  Herbal remedies can be just as strong as drugs, so do take care when trying them out.

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, ForestP said:

Fuck you HarrisonGarvin, your blatant advertising is both annoying and inappropriate. Go away.

You took the words out of my mouth Forest. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Phytoscience Double stemcell satisfied people

For those consumers keen to consume Double Stemcell, they can actually sign up as member to enjoy member price and with the marketing proposal provided, they can even earn for free redeem and get some extra income. Double Stemcell has registered with Health Ministry Malaysia(KKM) and it has went through Standards and Industrial Research Institute of Malaysia (SIRIM) and SGS Singapore General Laboratory Testing Standard. This product is confirmed safe and 100% plant base. For more visit

..............................................................................................

phytoteamasia

Archived