Mental Health Forums

New here! Awaiting diagnosis

Cheesecake

Hi, I'm a 30yo male awaiting a diagnosis of some sort of personality disorder.  It seems likely to be BPD with elements of Avoidant personality.  I'll let the experts decide.

I was a bit shocked to be referred to the Personality Disorder team at my local mental health unit.  I've always had issues with coping with relationships and with stress/panic/depression but didn't consider the label could be appropriate to myself.

I hope I can learn useful things from this forum and the other resources available.

Hi.  The last psychiatrist I saw said I had features of both avoidant and borderline personality disorders.  Like you I've always had issues with relationships and stress.

This is a great forum and I hope you find it helps you.

Just as there are many kinds of cheesecake, there are lots of flavours of person with a PD :).  Its only a label after all so don't get too hung up on it.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm still here, reading, waiting.  I've been waiting for 18 months to be seen by the community mental health team.  They've given me a support line to call but it's useless as by the time I need support it's already too late and I've let my impulsiveness take over and am into mind numbing quantities of Vodka which invariably leads to unintentional injury or intentional self harm followed by a visit to Accident and Emergency.  I sometimes wake up in police custody too.

I seem to be caught in a cycle of GUILT > ALCOHOL > STUPIDITY/SELF-HARM > MORE GUILT > MORE ALCOHOL > MORE STUPIDITY.....  All linked to the impulsiveness...

This has all been going on for many years now but has only become seriously bad in the last 2 years.  I lost my job, money, car, house, girlfriend and disappeared down the rabbit hole... I've been up for air a few times but keep slipping up and fueling my guilt...  Currently unemployed,relying on state benefits, waiting for treatment... STUCK!

Sorry, I just noticed this said LIGHT TOPICS...

Welcome Cheesecake,

Love the original name! Keep reading and keep posting. There are lots.of great tips on this forum. It helps sooooooo much to know we are not alone in this world and there are others out there feeling and going through similar things.

Hang on in there and keep coming up for air.

Elizabeth

Archived