Mental Health Forums

Mental Filter

Data

Isn't it funny that sometimes the same event can be looked at from a negative or positive point of view?  Its like the glass is half empty of full thing.

My wife drastically over-caters when we have rice or pasta most of the time.  On the negative side its frustrating that she doesn't learn.  On the plus side, it means I get the ingredients for a lunch the next day.  I just add tuna and peppers or tomato, and its nice.

My boss is making me develop the spreadsheet in parallel with the C# program that I am writing which supersedes it, which causes all sorts of major change control headaches, and its a worry for me.  The plus side is that by developing the program I have discovered errors in his work and by correcting them we prevent problems occurring at work.

When you are depressed, under-confident or stressed its easy to over-emphasise the negatives and ignore the positives.  

I think that perhaps the cure for this isn't simply to tell yourself (or others) to think positive.  Its like telling someone with eczema not to scratch!  Its about recognising that your own thinking may be distorted.  Sure, the negative you are focussing on may not be false - life has its problems.  But how many positives are you not seeing?

I am reading a book called, Hardwiring Happiness. It talks a lot about taking an additional moments to train your brain to take in something good for 5 full seconds. It apparently is beneficial in rewiring to brain to part from previous default perspectives.

I am reading a book called, Hardwiring Happiness. It talks a lot about taking an additional moments to train your brain to take in something good for 5 full seconds. It apparently is beneficial in rewiring to brain to part from previous default perspectives.

9781473501225-large.jpg

I will take a look at this more this evening when I have more time Saharah, thanks.

it is a simple read and very American in tone, but I find that even just reading that someone else believes it is possible gives me hope to try and be the kind of person I would like to naturally be.

Archived