Mental Health Forums

L

Data

L is the receptionist. I thought I liked L at work I used to sit next to her,  But now I've moved away.  Now I am thinking she gets jealous and is power-hungry and controlling. When I say something she doesn't like she sulks for a day.  I find that uncomfortable, because she has the outward appearance of maturity, but this is a childish thing.  There are two examples:

• She was sick and I suggested it was IBS and she ridiculed me and sulked for a day.
  • I asked if she had whiteboard pens and she gave me hers but sulked for half a day because this was my second conversation with her in a week.

Today I mentioned to T (accounts manager) that she had sparkling water on her desk and that I loved sparkling water.  L found it hilarious.  She stated that it was funny.  Apparently she said that she does not like sparkling water.

I then hopped on one leg whilst spinning around a couple of times, called the accounts manager Frank (she is female) and suggested that her water was psychadelic (its just an ordinary bottle).  They then looked shocked at me, and said that my behaviour wasn't funny, it is "random".  And the word "random" was said with disapproving overtones. 

I can't expect to be friends with L.  This is disappointing to me because I thought I liked her.

It just goes to show that some people can have an exterior that fits in but be childish on the inside.

Also judgment is common in the real world.  If you judge people for judging you, then you are a hypocrite!  Its a head-fuck.

People often don't change.  And if they do change, its usually slowly, and not because you instigated it.  In other words, you can't expect to change people.  L will always be as she is.

I will have to accept that she will play power games in her head, judge me in subtle ways, etc.  If I call her out on it, she will just judge me more, so its best to say nothing.

Archived