Mental Health Forums

Aripiprazole

flutterby

I'm currently on about 5days of aripiprazole of 10mgs. I've experienced

high anxiety (seems to be a tiny bit less atm)

decreased apetite 

shakey

waking up at around 4am then going into a phase of sleep where I'm also awake and having horrible dreams.

has anybody else lease experienced this and does it get better?

im due to go up to a higher dose this week, do the side effects get less or worse with a higher dose? 

Thank you 

I've never taken aripiprazole but most side effects do get better. I am afraid they can be increased or at least prolonged when you go to a higher dose. I think they are usually said to last for three weeks but they can be really horrible while they last.

I would suggest talking to your doctor about the side effects. One option is to increase the dose more slowly, only upping it when the side effects on the lower dose has gone. Or there might be another medication you can try instead. Also sometimes doctors will continue to give you the same medication but they will prescribe you an additional medication to treat the side effects. So there are alternatives.

It does sound like your side effects are debilitating and you have every right to discuss them with your doctor. I really hope there's something they can do for you.

• 2 weeks later...

decreased apetite 

shakey

waking up at around 4am then going into a phase of sleep where I'm also awake and having horrible dreams.

im due to go up to a higher dose this week, do the side effects get less or worse with a higher dose? 

Thank you 

decreased apetite 

shakey

Thank you 

Hi there I have been taking aripiprazole now for nearly 4 weeks and its been increased today to 15 mgs from 10 which was initially 5 mgs. Found the best time to take the meds was about an hour before bed time due to the side effects, since then I have no problems with them. Do go back to your doctor though in the first instance if things persist. 

Best Regards wilcombebolger 

Aripiprazole # dam predictive text sorry lol 

I am on 15mg as of Friday last week of aripiprazole but I started on 5mg. I find I have more anxiety attacks or it feels like I am (I shake uncontrollably with mine) and I'm shaky too. 

I take mine to help my anger in relation to BPD and for me it's helps me with that so I keep taking it at the minute because I'm used to anxiety but I hate my anger. They upped me recently to try and battle my depression but I don't think it's gonna work my mood is so low. The next step for me is lithium.

I would stick with it for a little while whilst your body gets used to it but if it really gets too much go back too the doctors x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There Flutterby,

I am the same as you I am suffering everything you have mentioned except vivid dreams.

It's not nice and have asked my mental health team to reduce them but am also asking for a psychiatric assessment too as the team seem pretty uneducated when it comes to medication. (psychiatric health practitioner) what is that? a nursing auxiliary or equivalent? i don't know.

Flutterby please stay in touch with me about your outcome.

Regards

Wilcombebolger

• 5 months later...

hi i take 15mg of aripiprazole and just find it makes me realy tired and have a dry mouth. i take it a night now to try and combat mot of the side affect of it. x

Archived