Mental Health Forums

Just diagnosed

Kimboski

Hi everyone

I'm a 45 year old man who today has just been diagnosed with BPD. 

To be honest, I just don't know what to think and feel a bit all over the place. But, in that mixture of emotions there is a sense of relief that the 'beast' has finally been named and now I have something tangible to fight. 

In the past, because of my addictions I have been labelled an alcoholic, which I am, but I just knew it didn't explain the whole complexity of my feelings, emotions and behaviour. I even had to argue the point, with a health care worker, who just wanted to label and treat me for alcoholism, that if that was my only issue then how come I've felt 'wrong' and acted out in manners since I was 5 or younger perhaps, which is way before I took a drink. She had to concede the point and that's how I finally got to see a psychiatrist for the first time in my life. 

Anyhow, I'm so glad I've found this forum and look forward to getting to know you and my disorder. 

Kim

Hello, this place is a ghost town, people just don't come around much and without the old community passing it down it hasn't been able to stay alive. The new peeps struggle to know how to support each other and the delays in replies leave many feeling futher stressed in their struggles.

Saying welcome now, and I am glad to hear you finally have a DX, when I was first being dx'd they tried to pass it off on alcohol too, even though I don't have an addictive personality. It takes some getting use to the dx and I still feel there are parts of it that I can't fully accept. But, it was a huge step in the right direction for me to start making progress.

We had a software update that went wrong and all sorts of features were broken, because it couldn't get fixed in a timely manner, people who were already suffering panicked and went to look for support elsewhere, other people would come back and felt like they didn't fit in and just kept spiraling like that. For me it happened during a time I was improving in my life and so I was able to see myself stand on my own two feet yay! But, I missed being truly understood and so I have been making more time to try and give back.

I hope you post as you feel comfortable.

Archived