Mental Health Forums

Newly diagnosed with BPD.

JJUK

My name is JJ. I'm obviously from the UK (Reason JJUK) I'm 25 year old male, and have been recently been diagnosed with BPD. Up until now I have been diagnosed and treated for depression for the last 10 years. Now all of sudden I have this BPD. Although, It has been such a relief to finally get an answer of how I have been feeling all this time. I do not know what has caused this, but I seem to have every textbook symptom there is.

On top of that I have type 1 diabetes. (For some reason I have never come to terms with this and it is very much uncontrolled.)

I've done my research and looked into BPD and some is slightly worrying me and the rest is relief as it explains A LOT of things. I've not really engaged with anybody with the same diagnosis, so I thought I'd sign up to forum. Get help / advice and a few more answers to my queries.

I work in a very busy and very stressful out of hours call centre. (Doesn't help with the mood swings / outburts, and it has been noticed at work. Although, management are aware of the depression and are being supportive, which is really appreciated.)

When I get chance I do have hobbies:
Photography, Kayaking and various water sports. I'm also an Emergency Medical Technician for a very well known voluntary organisation / first aid charity.

Right! So there you go. A little introduction to who I am.

JJ

:welcomeani: to the forum, depresion to BPD is a pretty big jump, are you currently with a care team? What sort of treatment are they suggesting?

Thanks. I'm on medication and been referred back into the care of my GP, and apparently refered to psychologist. Not very happy about this to be fair. 

Whwn I was being treated for depression. My GP put me on anti-depressants, but left me on the same dosage. 

Something happened a year ago, which causes the mental health team to be in contact. They stated that my anti-depressants were on such a low dosage, I may not have taken them. Basically my GP, but me on medication and said there, sorted. 

So, I don't have much confidence with my GP this time around either. 

I don't blame you for losing faith I would have done within months. My younger sister had a DNA test done with a psychiatric nurse who was able to draw up results for medication that works with her biology and others that she would not be likely to be responsive too, I thought this was relay cool, since it turned out the anti-d she was on was not suited to her and the mood stabilizer could have been improved. Currently, I have not been on meds for years, but if it cropped up again, I would really want to be able have that kind of testing and knowledge a part of my care plan.

Doe changing your dx seem to fit or sound right. When I got mine, it was like it finally all make sense. Not that I have ever been able to fully take it in, too depressing for me to think I may never get well kind of black & white thinking I could get wrapped up in. I ended up being in long term therapy and have improved greatly.

Oh wow! That blood tests sounds amazing. In regards to antidepressants (when I was being treated for depression) My Drs tried me on Fluxotine, Citalopram, Sertraline, Back on Citalopram and none of them worked. My Drs opinion just seemed to be "You're on meds now, that'll sort it." didn't even increase the dosage or anything. Now the mental health team have prescribed me these Anti-Physcotic meds and then referred me back into the care of my GP. I'm guessing my GP will do exactly the same with these. Won't even bother increasing the dosage etc. 

Being diagnosed seems to fit every aspect and problem within my life. I have been doing research in it and find more and more information. Although!!! It has made me paranoid that I'm now finding out the truth about the condition and only way I can describe it is. My body is saying its relief, but my mind is fighting and saying no no no. This is not the answer. and it doesn't want to accept the diagnosis, and just reading up on it now can bring me emotional etc. 

I'm the same. I've been reading up and kind of realising that I may never completely get rid of this condition, which is upsetting. 

There is a lot that can be done with therapy to improve and eliminate a lot of the symptoms over time though. The intense emotions will always be challenging to manage from what I have experienced, don't lose heart ((hugs)).

Archived