Mental Health Forums

Disability

mrs brightside

Hi Everyone, Happy New Year

IS BPD a disability, are we classed as having special needs? For some reason my brain keeps telling me BPD is a minor ailment, nothing to be too concerned about, yet in my heart i know it is a difficult thing to live with. How can I not be so hard on myself?

Any comments/opinions

Thanks

Happy new yer to you to Mrs. Brightside, from what I understand BPD is a serious mental illness. Meaning it can't be papered over with quick fixes. It requires long term therapy and diligence from the patient and the care team to show improvement.

I think all MH have an element of disabling symptoms that prevent one from leading the life they want, but most of those are not life long. They flare up and subside some go away altogether even. BPD is considered a spectrum disorder so it exists in shades and intensity.

The main thing I have found to help me stop being so hard on myself is a combination of self care and loving kindness meditation. I have really had to work on not judging my own thoughts and feelings to get relief from the ongoing cycles.

Good to see  you, how have you been getting on?

Below, I included one of my favorite BPD cartoons, because there are no words but the message really comes through.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived