Mental Health Forums

Reckless actions and BPD

wilcombebolger

Reckless Actions

Hi All,

Does any other BPD sufferer on days demonstrate similarities to my recent actions?

Fed up with my uni course and as a previous profession well experienced and qualified I decided on my own judgement to just take on a position in Europe with just three days notice to my family and I mean partner, with our two children both younger than four one of which has just had a horrendous accident, and a non permanent post and upto 8 months away leaving my partner stranded in a small village without a driving licence and unknown of what the future holds financially and in life in general?

Slow down now because after two fraught days and lots of tears and emotions on both sides i decided to back out with 36 hours to spare.

Can anybody provide an answer to my actions?

I think a lot of the BPD has to do with the types of triggers that precede the behavior. What sort of triggers were happening for you?

• 3 weeks later...

I  can identify hugely with this type of impulsive behaviour. Mine are more to do with money or actions, but this definitely strikes a chord.

The fact you are aware is a huge step I truly believe. For so very many years (undiagnosed) I would do the most outrageous things.

Being aware has helped me tremendously, and can only be a good thing.

All the best!

Kim

On 24/04/2016 at 2:50 AM, Kimboski said:

The fact you are aware is a huge step I truly believe. For so very many years (undiagnosed) I would do the most outrageous things.

I have to agree with @Kimboski.  It's a massive step to actually notice you're doing these things - you can go years without realising what you've done and how it might affect you.

How are you doing now?

@Nixie  If you're asking me, well I have to admit that I'm not doing too well. The impulsivity is still there..... but I now understand it for what it is; pure and utter escapism.

I resist impulses on a good day but can still find myself doing the most ridiculous things regarding money, friendships etc.

To have found this place is a gift. Although I understand it aint what it used to be........I think we have to realise its us, and only us that can build it back up. Even as it stands, I find it really helpful to be among those that share common experience.

Sorry to hear your not doing so well, Kimboski.  And yes, this place is definitely a gift.  Defeinitely quieter than it was several years ago when I joined - the chat room back then was crazy busy!  Hopefully we can get it going again.

And how are you doing now, Wilcombebolger?

Thanks Nixie. I really do hope we can build it up again. It's a great resource........and just being able to talk to fellow sufferers is so very helpful

I think we all find it hard to realise what our actions do to other people before its too late...

its taken me many years of reckless twists n turns in my life before i decided to make a stand and stop or at least try to stop my head from doing things i didn't want it to

i think that its harder to brake things when your in a cycle...

hope things get better for you

@maddy harper  I believe you are so right..........I personally had so little regard for the havoc I was creating in other peoples lives, let alone the fear, anger and worry.

My lack of self esteem, coupled with my lack of self knowledge led me to almost revel in the reckless things I was doing............in fact, I can say I almost took pride in some of the things I got up to. It sometimes seemed to be the only source of self esteem I had.

Archived