Mental Health Forums

Playing...

maddy harper

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to the music shop with my carer on wednesday to get a solid silver flute

all my previous ones have been budget ones and i think if i'm gonna be serious about flute playing then i need a pro one but they start at 1000 £ and go up from there

will let you know how i get on...

got another electro plated silver one as the solid silver keys wern't moving quickly enough for the styles i play in

• 4 months later...

I got a solid silver flute with a 14 carrot gold headjoint in april and its beautiful!!

its tone is so ritch.

i started playing a wooden Keyless flute in 2013 and progressed to the silver one with keys the following year and i'm still going with both.

the wooden Keyless flute i have now is made out of African black wood as is my C major whistle and piccolo.

its a very expensive wood as its getting really rare and hard to get hold of but its well worth the money...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting on a new wooden flute to come from Ireland in the post which is why i'm still up at this time.

seem to be throwing the sleepers off which isn't too good but there we go.

my new flute is made out of rosewood and it sounds beautiful. Heard it on youtube being played by a very good folk music player so i got a good idea of what it sounds like through out the lower and upper registers.

i have my african black wood one, (with out keys)

a Chinese bamboo flute (with out keys)

a Japanese bamboo flute also with out keys

a Crystal glass one which also doesn't have keys and the one i'm waiting for in the post doesn't have keys iether. 

The solid silver one does have keys though as does my Piccolo.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i got my new flute but she needs to find her self as does all wooden instruments.

Right now shes full of almond oil as that protects the wood and improves the tone.

I wasn't big on oiling untill i oiled my 1st rosewood flute i ever got.

I'd had issues with that flute till i oiled her. Half the notes wouldn't come out on the higher register. Now all the notes work and i thought, if it improves the tone on the inside, What would it do to the look of the flute so i oiled her on the outside and she looks and feels like she did when i 1st got her.

the oil in the new flute will dry in eventually so i'm not worried that the barrel is still full of it it just means shes not playable till the oil gets absorbed in.

i've swapped my drug adiction for a flute one and i fully admit this but the way i look at it is that its better than putting needles in my self...

At least i have something to show for my money rather than recked vains...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have athletes concert to give on Saturday, 10 December to a 78 residential care home and I'm a bit scared because I'm not very well but I agreed to do it when I was a lot better and I cannot let 78 people down 

Correction down 

Will let you know how I get on I will be playing the flute it will be the silver one 

Since I last posted I have a pocus would fluid which is native to the Caribbean also known as Jamaican ebony but the ironic thing is it same colour as pine  that one doesn't have keys 

I also have one made up of green jade which doesn't have keys either  it has such a beautiful sound considering it's made of stone 

The only downside to the Jade flute is it's very heavy it's only 15 inches long but it makes up for in weight  LOL 

I did the gig I was supposed to do this afternoon and it was awful 

The fact that I felt like I was walking in 20 Institute as soon as the front door shut behind me I couldn't believe it 

All these poor people would just discarded by society like bits of rubbish I was so angry 

This was something I had had arranged for a couple months before I got ill so that's why I did it otherwise it would've pulled out fucking loud these people dancing 78 people 

Correction there were 78 people 

At least I made them smile and make them forget about the shit hole they were in for a little while at least  but it was very draining on the mental resources because I kept on crying when I when out for cigarette  but at least I've given them something this made them smile so that make me happy knowing I've done that 

Archived