Mental Health Forums

Open letter to loved ones !

neilh

After 5 years of my therapy for BPD I have reached what I feel is a stage of 'Remission'. I know longer seriously 'act out' and feel that several symptoms present in my original diagnosis have thankfully reduced. Although I realise that recovery in BPD is a continuum I do now feel the benefit of my recovery.

My question to users of this forum is concerning, An open letter to my loved one's explaining my BPD diagnosis and my recovery. Is it a good idea!

For some time now I have felt that those around me, my loved one's, friends do not really understand my diagnosis and the events of my past, In particular, outbursts and self destructive behaviour. In particular I would like my children to understand. I have always strived to support and care for my children, however there have been times in the past where they must have been concerned or felt that 'Dad was acting weird. I have a generally close relationship with my family members but really feel I owe them an explanation. I also feel that those around me should realise that some of this behaviour was not of my choosing.

What are the thoughts of the forum on this matter or has anyone else felt like writing such a letter.

It might be better if you left the "BPD" part out of your letter.  I think that a lot of us go overboard with diagnostic labels.  I think if you just said you were suffering from mental illness and that you are now really trying to understand and change yourself would be a nice thing to say.  Also, if you can tell your loved ones how you became mentally ill (whether it was childhood, some type of PTSD, etc.) it might open their eyes as to why you had been acting the way you have been prior to your recovery.

Detroit guy,

Wise words, I fully agree with the fact that those of us suffering from Bpd get caught up in the diagnostics of it all. What you said it seems to me is pretty rational and solid advice and probably more inclined to have the desired effect of letting my loved ones understand some of what has been going on. You have brought a different perspective to my thoughts and in essence I feel that in writing such a letter referring to mental illness in the broad sense will shed light and create greater understanding between us all.

I would like to thank you Detroit Guy for those kind and wise words,

Many thanks, Neil H 

I like what you suggest Detroitguy. Looking back I have found that approach more useful for getting my thoughts out and communicating my past struggles.

Good luck with your letter Neilh, I hope you are able to open some doors for communication with your family and friends.

Archived