Mental Health Forums

The Good News

neilh

Its easy to find many negative and depressing comments, blogs and  you tube post's concerning BPD. I just wanted to share 'The Good News'

I am a 51 year old male with BPD and 5 years ago, my life was a mess, I lost nearly everything, career, relationships, my self respect.

The Good News is, Recovery is possible from BPD.

At first like many I was misdiagnosed as Bi-polar, for several years I was prescribed all kinds of med's non of which worked and indeed made my condition worse.

I was lucky in that 5 years ago I was given my true diagnosis of BPD and since then I have never looked back. With the help of a great therapist, support group and not forgetting my loving wife/ I am at last responding to my recovery plan and feel so much better. I have stopped 'acting out' and my symptoms have reduced.

For me, key changes in my recovery are:

Reducing and coming off medication with professional guidance

Opening up and dealing with issues of PTSD

Radical Acceptance

Becoming aware of the '15 styles of Deluded thought'

Reducing my Old and unhealthy coping skills' [ Alcohol, sex, spending]

Learning to Stop Self Hating myself, and developing a sense of love and respect for myself,

Finding my 'true self'

In short, It has taken me many years to sort the wheat from the caff concerning BPD, and although I am aware that everyone is different, I only wish I'd had known the importance of these keys areas at the start of my recovery.

These comments are meant for guidance and consideration only, please seek professional advice before making changes to your personal recovery plan.

i also think changeing the negitive is a positive thing to do over all

if you can do that, then good for you!!!

Thanks for the lovely message of inspiration!

I'm so glad things are on the up for you, and long may that continue :)

Archived