Mental Health Forums

Views on citalopram

BigHeight

Hey guys, long time no speak. 

Just wondered people's views on citalopram? I know everyone feels and reacts different to it from what I'm reading on the net. 

I went to the doctors because my anxiety has rocketed and my mood also, and I said that therapy hasn't worked before so she's give me this (10mg) to take every day. 

But I've been that worked up with anxiety lately I'm scared to take it, because I've read how some people have felt on it. 

But felt like medication was a last resort to try as I can't go on like this.. Also have propanelol to take as and when I need it. 

Thanks. 

Hi Big Height,

Firstly I'd like to say that we are all different, both in personality and in how bpd effects us. So any advice which taken from the forum should only be used as guidance. It is always important to come to the correct course of treatment and direction by consultation with a health care professional. That said I would like to tell you a little about my experience with Citalopram.

I took Citalopram for about ten years and started on this medication before receiving my correct diagnosis of bpd. When I was first prescribed the drug I was working in a high stress environment and at that time I was diagnosed at having depression !, The work in which I was employed was 'extreme' and involved the management of violent and high risk situations. At the time Citalopram allowed me to cope! It masked the emotion. The next few years where 'Hell', but I lived through it in a zombie like state, because of Citalopram.

Having later been wrongfully diagnosed as Bipolar, I was given anti-psychotics and mood stabilisers, all these meds continued to mask and deaden the effect of things that where happening around me, my world was falling apart but I had a smile on my face!!!! I became a different person, engaged in risky behaviour and pretty much lost it all, marriage, career, family and friends.

In 2010, I met a very different consultant, after several consultations and lots of difficult questions he re-diagnosed me as having bpd and from then on my life changed. What I have learned since then Big Height is that medication for bpd is not the answer. I'm sure that in the short term and when someone is in crisis medication can help but I feel that the key to beating this terrible condition is about getting to the root causes of trauma through therapy and by living by the DBT method.

Citalopram, at least  for me I feel was a kind of key hole drug that on one side helped me to cope in the short term but did nothing to address the real causes of my illness. I would urge you to seek out a good quality health care professional in order to get you into therapy that works for you.

I wish you luck in your recovery. Neilh

Archived