Mental Health Forums

Can anyone relate to this

successful_workthru

I'm BPD newly diagnosed and the psych also mentioned chronic ptsd, although he said its  not recognised like PTSD even though its caused by ongoing trauma.

He said it comes under EUPD, Borderline's new name.

Anways, does anyone ever feel like a crustacean without a protective outer shell??

Does anyone ever feel vulnerable and exposed in Summer, (Females) cos some men say some really disturbing things sexually?

Are theese related to BPD or CPTSD.

Hope this topics in the righth place.

Workthru

Having been diagnosed with BPD some six years ago I have undergone and achieved recovery to the stage of remission. Since being in recovery I have come to realise that much of this condition is caused by trauma, particularly in childhood. Many people experiencing BPD have dual diagnosis, in that they have been diagnosed with another Illness or condition.

As regards to your question of vulnerability ' a commonly used analogy is that living with BPD is like 'living without a skin' therefore , everything gets through and has the potential to hurt us. So your 'snail analogy is similar'. The fact is that we are just much more sensitive, vulnerable and easy to offend. Coming to terms with this and changing our complete outlook is certainly not an easy task however by just acknowledging that we are like this is a real start.

Whilst working on my recovery I have come to realise that people like us who have BPD have adopted a distorted view of world and that these distorted thought processes have developed within us for protection, it doesn't mean we are bad people, we have just started to think in certain way to protect ourselves and to deal with things we regard as threat. 

I found it useful to read  '15 styles of Distorted Thinking' Attached.

Workthu, I hope this helps' I found it a good place to start in realising and accepting how the BPD mind works, You may not feel that you use all of the styles however just being able to identify some styles of thinking is a start.

All the best, neilh15%20Styles%20of%20Distorted%20Thinking.pdf15%20Styles%20of%20Distorted%20Thinking.pdf 

On 21/06/2016 at 11:00 AM, neilh said:

Workthru

Having been diagnosed with BPD some six years ago I have undergone and achieved recovery to the stage of remission. Since being in recovery I have come to realise that much of this condition is caused by trauma, particularly in childhood. Many people experiencing BPD have dual diagnosis, in that they have been diagnosed with another Illness or condition.

As regards to your question of vulnerability ' a commonly used analogy is that living with BPD is like 'living without a skin' therefore , everything gets through and has the potential to hurt us. So your 'snail analogy is similar'. The fact is that we are just much more sensitive, vulnerable and easy to offend. Coming to terms with this and changing our complete outlook is certainly not an easy task however by just acknowledging that we are like this is a real start.

Whilst working on my recovery I have come to realise that people like us who have BPD have adopted a distorted view of world and that these distorted thought processes have developed within us for protection, it doesn't mean we are bad people, we have just started to think in certain way to protect ourselves and to deal with things we regard as threat. 

I found it useful to read  '15 styles of Distorted Thinking' Attached.

Workthu, I hope this helps' I found it a good place to start in realising and accepting how the BPD mind works, You may not feel that you use all of the styles however just being able to identify some styles of thinking is a start.

All the best, neilh15%20Styles%20of%20Distorted%20Thinking.pdf15%20Styles%20of%20Distorted%20Thinking.pdf 

Hi Neil and thanks for the PDF.

EUPD is very painful isn't it. I wonder if a lot of borderliners use opiates? I sometimes do cos i want crying free days. Like you say dual diagnosis. I think substance misuse is a symptom of many diseases incl BPD, and only a few forward thinking doctors recognise this.

the rest of them, most of them, are in too old fashioned an attitude stage, like this is how it should have been nin the 1800's not the 21st century, cos we punish druggies, who were traumatised so we keep retraumatising them, well doctors do, especially the stern "I dont have time for..." crap.

Living without a skin is a really good analogy for BPD too, but i felt like a crustacean without a shell all my life, not just recently when i got diag.

again, thanks for the pdf, i could do with something like that to start me offf.

EDIT, I just read that .pd and i can relate to some of these distorted thinking patterns.

I will save a copy on my hard drive thanks

Archived