Mental Health Forums

Regaining Short Term Memory

neilh

I have notice that the further I moveĀ into my recovery the more I seem to be regaining my short term memory. For several years whilst I was in the throws of crisis and truly in the grip of Bpd my short term memory was completely 'shot'. I certainly feel that whilst I was on medication all of my memory was affected both long and short term. However after being off meds for two years my short term memory is returning. What is also evident is that Bpd develops a habit of continuous rumination and therefore a focus on all things past. I therefore assume that my recent regaining of my short term memory is due to the fact that I am no longer ruminating as I was.

neilh

I'm happy for you mate.

I have to admit that my memory loss is becoming of increasing concern to me. I'm not sure how much is due to BPD or drink and drug abuse over the years. This includes prescribed medication.

Glad it's improving for you.

Kim

• 1 month later...

That's really good news - especially if you're right about the reason for it. I hope your memory continues to improve. Memory problems can be really worrying.

Archived