Mental Health Forums

Amitriptyline

shirtony

Please help been given amitriptyline for pain in night for arthritis but my symptoms of bpd have magnified.

does anyone know of an alternative to this which won't affect bpd. Thank you

I was on Trazodone for a short period, I also got put on Mirtazapine, both did not agree with me. Things like this are difficult because everyone reacts to drugs differently, what works for one person may not work for others. You are best off booking in with your GP so that you can discuss this and try something else, at this strength everything is prescription only so you will need a doctors slip anyway.

Good luck

Forest

I am on amitriptilyne and find it helps with my mh problems- I think everyone is just different as Forest said. It's frustrating as it means trial and error but there are other pain meds out there and probably other meds that can be taken with the amitriptyline to help the BPD symptoms. I take codeine but it is addictive so GPs can be wary of prescribing it longterm. I'm sure if you explain to your GP, they will help you find an alternative.

The only possible problem is that GPs are usually reluctant to change meds until you've been taking them for 3-4 weeks as the problems could be side effects. If the amitriptyline is affecting you severely, then obviously you need immediate help. Otherwise you should probably be prepared for the 'come back in 3 weeks' response' (or wait 3-4 weeks before making an appointment, though this is a long time when you're worried)..

If your GP is one of those who isn't so good with mh problems, you could also speak to your psychiatrist if you have one. I think at least in the UK all doctors have medical degrees so they will have some understanding of physical illness and although I don't think they could prescribe pain meds, they should be able to help explain things to your GP if needed.

• 3 months later...

Hi Shirtony, I was only recently diagnosed with BPD but was previously on Amitriptyline for pain at night and it sent me into complete meltdown, my symptoms increased pretty bad! I ended up shifting to Escitalopram as an SSRI and also on Pregabalin for  the Pain although it also helps with Anxiety

Archived