Mental Health Forums

EUPD bad press....What are peoples thoughts?

ForestP

More bad press for EUPD,

PRE-WARNING - Mainsteam newspaper so nothing considered unsuitable for general public, no upsetting pictures but writing detailing things that some users may find upsetting.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vile-twitter-troll-who-abused-8421599

noticed this article today, feel awful for the victim but I can't help feeling a little bad for the "Vile Twitter troll" even though she possibly could have made better choices (getting help before hurting people)....

Mental illness isn't an excuse, but I feel that people don't really care if mental illness is a major contributing factor to the crime. I don't think she bears no responsibility for her actions but without the condition I don't think she would have done this. Things like this mess with my head because I can empathise  with the victim, but also understand the sort of things going through the mind of the perpetrator, and can't help thinking that she needs help rather than locking up, although I do understand the desire for someone to be punished for causing upset to someone who has had enough in there life for anyone.

What do people think? Having been the victim of other peoples mental health issues, and being the victim of my own which has impacted others around me I feel for both sides. How do others feel about things like this?

Forest

Interesting topic Forest,

Although I agree with the Judges comment's, in that her acts were Sadistic, I feel that there is a whole bigger picture here.   The manner in which such events are reported by the press is pretty much always alarmist and dramatized. I am sure that the information that was provided to the court in the form of psychiatric and social reports would have been considerable, thorough, and balanced, but this is never reported likewise in the press, creating fear and preconceptions in the public at large.

As you say, Mental illness is not an excuse. Although I generally agree with this statement I simply feel that in some rare case's 'it is an excuse', at least strong mitigation. As in this case, there appears to have been a huge amount of evidence to suggest that the young women concerned was in the grip of a severe and traumatic illness. Having lived with and now hopefully recovered from the illness I can fully understand how detached and removed we can become from our true self and indeed reality.  Its a scary thought to realise that EUPD can distort our view of the world to such an extent however having been in that very position, I know it to be the case. My opinion is that the Psychosis factor of EUPD, BPD, is very much under stated and unrecognised. I feel that there is a lot more research to be done to further understand the illness. I am convinced that in the not to distant future EUPD will be recognised as the severe and life destroying illness that it is.

My sympathy goes out to all involved and affected by this sad case.

neilh

Archived