Mental Health Forums

Article on how chronic childhood stress affects us

detroitguy

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing. I have so many of the health conditions mentioned. Without seeing all the questions, I have an ACE score of at least 6.

According to this, with an ACE score of 6, my lifespan is likely to be shortened by almost 20 years. Is it bad that I feel happy about that?

Thanks DT, that is a very informative article.

I have just taken the ACE test and scored as an 8. EEk!

To be entirely honest, it doesn't frighten me and like Emma there is a side to me that welcomes the short life expectancy that comes with it.

But it doesn't mean I am giving in to a life that is pre-determined. No, I'll fight and struggle as best I can.

Of course, that's on a good day.

ATB

Kim

So yea, I took this ACE test and got 6. My philosiphy is that we can overcome anything that has happened in our past if we are prepared to put the time and effort into fixing things, I don't believe anyone is broken beyond repair. I have got better ever since I left home, I still have a long way to go, but I've made so much progress, and will continue to do so. I won't let my past hold me back and I will choose what defines me, not the events of my childhood.

Things can feel hopeless at times, and I think at times like that it's important to stop and take a good look at how far we have came since we were children.

Forest

Archived