Mental Health Forums

Chock

maddy harper

Chock is my guinea pig who will be 4 next year

he is brindle (chocolate brown) on his back with a little white strype running down his forhead

he looks like a staffy from the top but the only thing which lets him down on that look is his ginger stomach

he has 1 black foot and the claws on it are black also so he's part goth

i'd be lost with out him....

he loves running in his pen eating lumps out of a cardboard box with 2 holes in it and hay inside it when he's in there

i have to put a towl down so he doesn't chew the carpet....

he also loves leaves, leaves and leaves.

he's very fond of hay also and dandelions fresh or dry he's not fussy...

He had a check up at the vet on monday while he was having his talons taken off and he's healthy and bright eyed which is always a good sign...

have been able to run him in his pen since his claws were taken off as they were catching on the towl and i was scared of him braking something if his claws were hooked in and he tryed to run so i didn't run him for a fiew weeks but i've ran him every day since his claws were cut and he's been a lot happyer for it

i think its important for any caged animal to have time away from their cage

we go a bit stir crazy if we've not been out the house so its the same for them...

Went shopping for Chockster yesterday

i got him 2 10 £ bails of wood flakes for his cage floor

mountain hay which he's never tryed

marigold and dandelion herb hay which he has never had

Alfalfa grass hay which he loves

4 lots of dry dandelion which he loves

a new bull rush ball for floor time

Chamamile for if he's being a bit noisey at night i can help him to sleep or be a bit quieter at least

1 bag of rosewood all natural herb plus

Plus what??? Would like to know the answer to that one...

he thinks Christmas has come lol

• 1 month later...

Since i posted about Chock he has had his house upgraded.

He's now in a 3 and a half foot long rabbit cage. He got upgraded on the 7th of September so is much happyer in the space now than he was to begin with.

was shopping for him this afternoon.

he now has 6 bails of mountain hay and 5 bails of dandelion and marigold hay 

He also has alfalfa grass hay as i like him to have a fiew different grasses to munch so if i cant get hold of one i know he will eat the others so that stops him getting to fond of one particular grass.

he's got little bull rush balls for play time in his cage and for pen time.

also more wood for the cage floor as i go through a lot of wood flakes.

he's a happy little thing towards me no matter what mood i'm in he's always happy to have a snuggle which is nice. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My guide person who i have from Guide dogs worked in the pet food industry and he's got me really good quality hay for chock and i only had to pay 2 £ 50 per 1 kg bail when they should be 5 each so i have ordered another 4 of them which he will put in with his usual order and i will get them for 11 £ 50 which is a lot better than 20 £ if i was getting them from a pet shop.

may as well make use of the contact while i have it.

He also got me his new food that he's now fully switched over on to. The strop he had over that was hilarious....

now he wont eat anything else. Silly pig...

• 1 month later...

I have to start thinking about what I'm going to get the little hoglet for Christmas 

The question is what do you get a guinea pig has everything 

I am sure I will find something interesting for him to wreck as he loves wrecking things 

Destruction is his middle name :)

I am going into town today to start chocs Christmas shopping 

I have to be strong and not getting Ollie's Christmas presents before Christmas itself 

I probably will have to give some of his presence to my friend across the road to stop me giving them to him before Christmas gets here that's how bad I am 

My excuses I haven't grown up properly so my inner child is more prevalent than it would be if I wasn't mad 

2 hours ago, maddy harper said:

I haven't grown up properly so my inner child is more prevalent than it would be if I wasn't mad 

i can relate to this, but i would change the last word to unloved

I got chucked his Christmas presents 

I got him a new edible house for Christmas Day itself 

And to different to type toys that were meant to be for Christmas but I give them to him yesterday bad mummy 

He was waking at me when I came back because he knew I had stuff for him and I felt really bad so I give missed toys 

Screaming the house down he was :)

I really am a soft touch where the pig is concerns 

I also got him for bags of Wilco dandelion mix which he absolutely loves I don't know what so brilliant about dandelions however he seems to like them and some Italian salad at Sainsbury's which that can't keep till Christmas but the dandelions could've done that again I gave into him squealing 

6 hours ago, maddy harper said:

And to different to type toys that were meant to be for Christmas but I give them to him yesterday bad mummy 

He was waking at me when I came back because he knew I had stuff for him and I felt really bad so I give missed toys 

I also got him for bags of Wilco dandelion mix which he absolutely loves I don't know what so brilliant about dandelions however he seems to like them and some Italian salad at Sainsbury's which that can't keep till Christmas but the dandelions could've done that again I gave into him squealing 

That's so nice you got your piggy some Christmas things.  I got my birds and dog some Christmas gifts too the other day.  Like you, my pets, mean the world to me.

People really do underestimate the healing power of animals until we have them in cells 

I would be lost without my little hoglet even if  he drives me nuts 

:)

19 hours ago, maddy harper said:

They love iceberg lettuce.

Guinea pigs should not have a spare lettuce under any circumstance because it can kill them 

It makes them have a massive buildup of gas which leads to bloating and then it can lead to the guts actually twisting that's what kills them is called tortion

Chalk is loving his new  Chew toys 

Mummy made a good choice again clever me 

Pics can be so fussy about what people play with and what they want 

Correction what they will play with 

Iceberg lettuce also contains an opium like substance called lactucarium, it sedates them and is quite addictive, that's why they appear to "like it" so much. You shouldn't give it to them because they can OD on it and die, they also get withdrawal if you stop giving it to them so it's best avoided.

On 30/11/2016 at 0:57 PM, ForestP said:

they can OD on it and die

lot of misinformation there ForestP no guinea pig has died of iceburg lettuce lol

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/69028-Iceberg-Lettuce

"There's nothing poisonous about iceberg lettuce. It just simply doesn't have enough nutritional value to make it worthwhile to feed to guinea pigs."

imo Pets can benefit from enjoying food rather than being fed like a science experiment

many human foods have little nutritional value, but we enjoy them anyway

my dog loves his bowl of tea in the morning, you're not going to take that away from him are you?

Perhaps you would be suprised to know that i kept guinea pigs
i had eight of them in total they all lived between 6-7 years appart from a rossete one that lived 9 years

they all ate a small amount of lettuce every day, it was their favorite by my own observations

none of them exploded with gas build up, they lived happy lives as far as i could determine

although this is subjective to the guinea pig so not scientific

my favorite simion had his cage in my bedroom and my kitten used to sleep in the cage with him

simon would bite the kitten on his ears and lick him it was very cute

hope this helps

Fair enough, It appears I got them confused with rabbits:

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/diet/myths

Along with a rather amusing article from the daily mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3653981/Don-t-feed-rabbits-lettuce-contains-chemical-gets-stoned.html

Yea, I haven't had a guinea pig, I do keep rabbits though, a vet told me the iceberg lettuce thing, I (wrongly) assumed it applied to all small animals.

Treating like a science experiment is bad, but you don't want the guilt of giving your beloved pet something that may harm them so some caution is a good idea...

Forest

• 4 weeks later...

Pharmasience medication work For Human Health.

Pharmascience treat fever and pain caused by inflammation, including pain due to arthritis, muscle aches, sprains, strains, backache, headache, migraine, minor aches, menstrual cramps, minor surgery, toothache, dental extractions, and the common cold. It can also be used to reduce fever :- For More Visit.

................................................................................................................

Pharmasience

Archived