Mental Health Forums

Mental health and debt

ForestP

So, most people I have met who have mental health problems also have debt and money worries. Luckily I have managed (only recently) to do away with around £6000 of debt that I accumulated whilst I was at my worst. What really helped me was the "Money Saving Expert" website, there are loads of articles there to help manage money better and ways to get out of debt (transfering my credit cards to 0% interest ones and commiting to not spending on them was invaluable to me).

Martin Lewis has also campaigned for better government support for people with mental health problems, and has set up an institute to help people with this. There is a really good guide available for anyone who is having problems, it's well worth a read and it's free of course. It's supported by Mind, Rethink, and a lot more mental health charities in the UK so you can trust it's putting mental health first, link is below:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide

My wife says I have a guy crush on Martin Lewis, not so much the case but I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, and he's helped me a lot without ever meeting me or speaking to me directly, I think that's quite an achievement and deserving of my respect.

If this helps even just one person in the slightest way it was well worth the post.

Forest

• 3 months later...
On 04/09/2016 at 0:47 PM, ForestP said:

So, most people I have met who have mental health problems also have debt and money worries. Luckily I have managed (only recently) to do away with around £6000 of debt that I accumulated whilst I was at my worst. What really helped me was the "Money Saving Expert" website, there are loads of articles there to help manage money better and ways to get out of debt (transfering my credit cards to 0% interest ones and commiting to not spending on them was invaluable to me).

Martin Lewis has also campaigned for better government support for people with mental health problems, and has set up an institute to help people with this. There is a really good guide available for anyone who is having problems, it's well worth a read and it's free of course. It's supported by Mind, Rethink, and a lot more mental health charities in the UK so you can trust it's putting mental health first, link is below:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide

My wife says I have a guy crush on Martin Lewis, not so much the case but I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, and he's helped me a lot without ever meeting me or speaking to me directly, I think that's quite an achievement and deserving of my respect.

If this helps even just one person in the slightest way it was well worth the post.

Forest

Fear of massive lifelong debt is a bugbear of mine that really gets his big teeth into me.

It causes me great pain.

I find money triggering.

I could have a lovely flat if I hadn't of spent all the money on drugs and booze.

Gonna read link, thank you.

EDIT2 I dont have credit cards, but it is  useful for those who do. I just fear future debt due to decrease in income and lack of inspiration and wherewithall to provide alternative source of income.

Although I feel I deserve sickness benefit or whatever you wanna call it these days, the worry of how long its gonna last is too much for me.

Due to my difficulties with people, I cannot work with them, as I slip into old unhealthy patterns of behaviour which are very destructive and not just to me. I need to find an income online at home, enough to keep me here and repair or maintain everything that needs doing by me, then i will feel a weight off my shoulders.

Of course I  will always have a thin emotional skin, but, with the money worries out of the way, there will be more energy to channel into idenitfying and improving the difficult situations my BPD and CPTSD bring.

• 1 month later...

hi...
     welcome to the forum site.  Be under no illusions. Mental health problems can cause severe debt, and severe debt can cause mental health problems and  Debt isn't just a financial problem, it causes relationships to break up, people to lose their homes and families to break down. No matter who you are, it can be hell.

WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION 

• 3 months later...

Pharmascience Health Gainer for Weight gain

Mens need many calorie requirements that many men have proves to be incredibly trying Pharmascience health gainer a weight gainer makes this far easier. If you consider the fact that there are weight gainers available that pack in over a thousand calories per shake .

For more visit

Weight Gainer

Pharmascience Health Gainer for contains calories in bulk and Weight Gain

A Health Gainer is a Pharma science - the Indian Ayurveda product. It is basically a weight work additive product which generally comes in a powder form which contains calories in bulk. It is full of proteins, fats and carbohydrates which gives your body an ultimate improvement and a muscular growth.

For more visit

Health Gainer

• 2 months later...

Pharmascience Health Gainer for Weight gain

Mens need many calorie requirements that many men have proves to be incredibly trying Pharmascience health gainer a weight gainer makes this far easier. If you consider the fact that there are weight gainers available that pack in over a thousand calories per shake .

For more visit

Weight Gainer

I did a really stupid thing in 2000. I bought a leasehold flat naiively without asking the solicitor the right questions and not looking properly at the paperwork. The old owner breached the lease in many places and its gonna cost thousands to reparir. Normally the bill would be split into our block of 6 flats, but I cannot see my neighbours paying thousands for something they didnt do, that my old owner did. I am really worried. I won;t know how much I owe for ages, as maintenance is not planned till next year. The service charge is going up as its been dirt cheap since i moved in, but the housing association explainned to me that  breaches of lease damage bills are split between the block of 6 flats. The building has 42 flats, but its divided into 7 blocks of 6.

I dont know the landlords as they are away andd rent their flats out, but as my WCA assessment has just come in also, and I cannot see me getting it this time round as its much stricter, I could be made bankrupt and homeless, and I could also have 5 angry landlords after me becausee they will have to pay.  The damage the old owner has done is unbeleievable, its also damage that does not beloong to my area of the flat, like the roof void. He put a huge leaky velux window in the roof. He's put cement down the eaves, hes moved pipes around. I feel so naiive about this that I got re addicted to valium a huge dose and feel on the edge of a breakdown.

I am luckilly on a script as I am dual diagnosis and have a good psychiatrist plus help from a tranquiliser charity, but I am scared i am going to lose the plot with worry as it seems to get a little worse every day.

ITs really complex as the old owner has done so many things. Also i got central heating and pipes put in the attic by mistake. Im not really coping with owning a leasehold flat but the housing association refused when i asked if i could give it back to them to rent back out to me, so the responsibility is off my shoulders.

I have a cpn but as she isnt a builder I cannot expect her to understand and she has helped as much aspossible, but as the case is so complex she understandably gets a bit pissed off with my worrying. 

Why would he put cement down the eaves where the roof rafter tips are though, it will only rot them. I feel really vulnerable and like I say, on the edge of a breakdown. I dont want other meds, psych meds do my head in, I am tapering off valium once i get stable enough but I dont feel anywhere near stable at the minute.

thanks for rading

Archived