Mental Health Forums

Is my art terrible?

loverofcreation

I ask because people say my art ''isn't skilled enough'' to be considered decent, and whenever I've submitted it to reddit, everyone downvotes it, yet for some reason simple cartoons get so many upvotes.

I'm nearly 21, and art is a hobby of mine.

Here's some of my recent work... 

_gemini_cricket__by_spiritdefied-dahim37

_the_strange_shopkeeper__by_spiritdefied

sorceress_by_spiritdefied-dacgxar.png

mary_model_by_spiritdefied-dac6lou.png

Hardly anyone views it or commentates on it so I don't know why it's bad or how I can improve so my art isn't as terrible as people make it out to be. I used to be proud of my art and was even thinking of making a game based on the characters I made, but perhaps I'll quit since I am such a terrible ''unskilled'' artist, apparently. 

Hello again,

Just a heads up, the forum is a bit quiet at the moment so if you don't get a lot of responses it's not because people don't like your art. It's more because there aren't a lot of people around at the moment.

I'm not an art critic, I don't see anything wrong with your pictures and they seem ok to me. Then again my preference of art is quite traditional and revolves around nature (landscapes, flowers, animals). It's much better than what I could do. Reddit is full of trolls and a very particular crowd (not that I mind, you just need to know what you're getting)

There are a lot of people out there that enjoy putting others down, the internet is terrible for that. Try to find a forum (not necessarily on online one) where you can share your art with people who deal with similar themes and give constructive critisism.

Obviously only ask for critisism if you are comfortable receiving it. I hope some other people can contribute but unfortunately that's all I got.

Forest

I think it looks good am not an expert though. Keep at it  youre obviously talented. I am a photographer amature myself and I find its important to keep learning and practising, Do courses, read up etc youre still so young and your work will only get better.

Also remember that in art a lot is about taste, follow your heart, listen to tech advise but when it comes to style etc go with your own heart.

Dont be discouraged by negative people listen to those who have constructive cristism and not those who just simply cut you down. People can be harsh. Ive been there Ive had really harsh comments on photos. However now three years later one of my photos is in an expo and Im getting more interest.....Dont listen to those people. True art lovers are encouraging and will want to give advice in an upbuilding way.

you do lovely illustrations and they could easily be used in books, cartoons, software. Behance.net has a huge variety of creative genre's I promise if you were to go looking you would find so much like your own quality of work. your work is good and don't be dissuaded by trolls.

• 3 months later...
On 14/09/2016 at 0:01 AM, loverofcreation said:

I ask because people say my art ''isn't skilled enough'' to be considered decent, and whenever I've submitted it to reddit, everyone downvotes it, yet for some reason simple cartoons get so many upvotes.

I'm nearly 21, and art is a hobby of mine.

Here's some of my recent work... 

_gemini_cricket__by_spiritdefied-dahim37

_the_strange_shopkeeper__by_spiritdefied

sorceress_by_spiritdefied-dacgxar.png

mary_model_by_spiritdefied-dac6lou.png

Hardly anyone views it or commentates on it so I don't know why it's bad or how I can improve so my art isn't as terrible as people make it out to be. I used to be proud of my art and was even thinking of making a game based on the characters I made, but perhaps I'll quit since I am such a terrible ''unskilled'' artist, apparently. 

I like art and can paint or draw a photograph like portrait of someone from photo or live, but as for design i am sh1t

I tried using paintshop pro to do self taught digital art but didnt get very far, no your art is not bad, it's good, have you considered the downvoters might be a tad jealous?

Archived