Mental Health Forums

Keywords

postaldudesdad

Hi folks i am new to the community i would like to feel that i am able to fit in but unfortunetly i am unaware of many of the keywords in use it feels a bit cliquey

it would be very helpful is someone could compile a list of keywords and their meanings

i watched a video on youtube where two BPD ladies talked about thier issues at one point a lady mentioned "my first suicide attempt" the other lady nodded they both found empathy very quickly

i stopped the video because i felt left out i have never attempted suicide

trigger trigger trigger. i keep seing this word something tells me it is an important keyword like abracadabra

i have been diagnosed with BPD i do not self harm and i have never attempted suicide, will the others think i am not fully commited i am worried i will be shunned

do paper cuts count?

Hey postaldudesdad

What keywords are you struggling with?

A lot of words that get used are just abbreviations of conditions, here is a glossary from a website considerably cliquier than this one http://outofthefog.website/acronyms/

We don't do it to exclude, it’s just shorthand really, there isn't anything that I am aware of on this forum that isn't used anywhere else on the internet, if you are unsure feel free to ask.

A lot of BPD people attempt suicide, it's not required to have BPD though. Same as self-harm. I'm guessing you are a man due to your screen name. There are gender differences in the presentation of BPD in men and women, Women tend to turn their frustrations inwards on themselves, men tend to turn their frustrations to the world. There is a really good article about this here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3115767/

The reason why you keep seeing trigger warnings is because a lot of people with BPD also suffer from PTSD or similar conditions. Therefore it's considered polite to put a warning on the top of your post if it contains things that could potentially trigger someone’s PTSD off.

BPD isn't a club, it's a medical diagnosis, usually there is some kind of self-destructive behaviour involved, suicide attempts and self-harm come into that category, but so does driving a car at 90 down a country road and not giving a damn what happens, each person’s self-destructive behaviour is different.

Forest

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply i will check out the keyword list

what do you mean by trigger someone's PTSD off?

i thought folk with BPD had triggers that cause them stress/unpleasent emotions, are you saying this is not BPD itself but a separate conditon?

Does the BPD community have an equivalent acronym for folk who are not BPD? such as "NT"  (neurotypical) which is used frequently in the autisic community

neurotypical
ˌnjʊərə(ʊ)ˈtɪpɪk(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: neurotypical; adjective: neuro-typical
  1. not displaying or characterized by autistic or other neurologically atypical patterns of thought or behaviour.
    "neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one or the only correct one"

Basically, if you talk about something that relates to trauma that someone who has PTSD has experienced, it takes them back to the trauma, they get the flood of emotions they felt at the time which can be overwhelming and unpleasant. Another link for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_trigger.

Having a trigger that causes stress and unpleasant emotions isn't really a BPD thing (unless it's abandonment which is a different thing entirely), it's a PTSD thing. A lot of people with BPD also have PTSD though, the conditions are closely related.

As far as I am aware there isn't an acronym, I personally don't like the idea of categorising people, Autistic people like to categorise things using rules and set criteria. In reality, things don't fall into such neat little boxes, describing someone as typical in any way really isn't all that accurate, and considering everyone's mind processes information in a unique way "neurotypical" doesn't mean a great lot and is a gross oversimplification.

That is interesting, i have not been given a diagnosis of PTSD what your describing sounds like flashbacks

i have a few "triggers" that set off emotional reactions, i tend to attach strong feelings towards the trigger even when knowing they're just the trigger, i find it extreemly hard not to retaliate, i tend to be ok in person when i can read a persons face/eyes (tone)

i find it difficult to talk to people on the phone without them upsetting me in some way

The autistic folk use the term "NT" as often as folk here use the term trigger at first i thought of windows NT, i had to look it up lol

on another thread i have learned that anna means anorexia

people were saying mean things about anna she did not sound like a very nice girl

if there was an acronym for non BPD folk perhaps  LS (lowly sensitive) or EB (emotion blockers) would suffice

Yea, sort of like flashbacks, although it doesn't have to be an actual flashback of the event, It can just be the emotions and feelings.

The triggers you are talking about are different, you do better than me if seeing someone means you are ok, I'm not. It takes a while for me to get to the point where I can understand the hidden meaning in what people say, although I am getting better.

Are you Autistic? I've got the impression a couple of times that you may be. I once found a pretty interesting site that mapped your thought methods against NT and ND - I dug it out for you if you are interested (credit to the following site for guiding me to it http://www.lifeonthespectrum.net/blog/?page_id=1188):

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

The following is mine:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 76 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

poly10a.php?p1=91&p2=69&p3=61&p4=40&p5=66&p6=72&p7=78&p8=74&p9=33&p10=64

it strongly suggests that I have Aspergers due to having a strong trend towards ND traits in many areas, had I done this test as a kid it would have been totally ND, but as I have got older I have learned to blend in with the general population and adjust my perception and social interactions to what is expected by the general population. It doesn't feel natural, I doubt it ever will, but it has got easier.

Forest

• 2 weeks later...

No i do not have any autisim or Aspergers, the BPD fits pretty well, better than panic disorder and social phobia (first diagnosis)

EUPD borderline and impulsive with antisocial traits was my 2nd diagnosis

i find i am ok with people until something goes wrong, they let me down in some way, do not do what they say or had planed to do

i tend to think everything people say is bullshit it is simply desinged to get them out of that moment

they say whatever they think the other person wants to hear to avoid any conflict or disagreement or EMOTION

people seem superficial to me, with disposable personalities, they seem indifferent to all the elephants in the room that dance a jig for me daily

it has taken me a very long time to work it out, but i see the world through the eyes of a chid who is very angry about how unfair the world is and how all the people are indifferent about this, this inner child is also very cross about how all the adults knew how i was treated but choose to ignore it

this harsh treatment left me with the core beleif that i am flawed in some way and that i must change to be accepted by others (shame)

i guess this is where the rejection/abandoment thing comes from

i beleive i do not have enough narcissism (ADULT) within my personality, however i am working on this

i have spent most of my life looking for the truth, why are we here what is the point etc (facts seem important and interesting to me)

this is most of my life wasted, i should of gone to drama school and learned how to act CONCERNED (fake sincerity) like all the other cunts out there

seem to have the ability to do naturally

hope this helps :)

Archived